Took a chance & scored

-

pentastarpro

speed trials
Reaction score
A friend advised that a 65' D300 was @ PAP & had a BB automatic. Yep, 383ci w/727 lever shift despite push buttons on dash. Case #J2894014101535 isn't in my master list but falls around 68-69' so suspected it was swapped out. Took a chance & pulled it anyway. OK so drive shaft turned both ways so sprag needs some help. Tore it down yesterday & found a very clean (maybe fresh rebuild) w/deep intermediate drum, 3.8 kickdown lever, but only 3 pinion planetary. still a score. My question is, has anyone seen a front clutch piston w/only 10 stubs for return springs? Of all the boxes I've torn down, never saw one of these. BTW, it only had 5 springs installed but clutch pack looks like new. Many parts had orange swipe of paint which makes me think it's a rebuilder's ID. Just what I need for a start on my 512ci stroker.
100_2889.JPG

Yep, that falls within the years you're thinking. Think it was around 70-71 they went with 15 spring piston. Also, check those makings around the outer ring. Might be some date codes there.

Tks for reply. Makes sense to me. Everything I've done on 727 has been 70' & newer. Also a few mid 60's 904's a long time ago.

The forward servo piston in the earlier transmissions is called a "non controlled load" piston and is preferable for performance builds as it doesnt have a cushion, and therefore provides a more positive band application.

If the input shaft is the hardened one, used in hemi cars, 440 6 pack cars and some heavy duty truck applications it will have a circular groove at the front of the input splines, and would have had yellow paint on its front tip.

Looks like standard input shaft. Looks like the NCLFS which is different than previous ones I've done.
Tks, all good info. Abt the time you think you've got a handle on things you learn something new. The 512 stroker will be for crusing so this input shaft will be fine.

-
Back