Took a trip to the body shop today.

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Alright, after realizing a few weeks ago that I was in over my head with all the body work my fish needs(im a college student), I decided to try and trade others for their fish along with a few extra G's cash. That obviously didnt work. So I took my car to a local body shop here in Vallejo for a quote. I was quoted 2300 to get the entire body sound. This includes media blasting, The roof transplant that Ive been dreading so much( I have another roof), the quarter panel patches, and all the rust around the windows as well as a couple spots on the rocker panel. I asked the guy to not use any body filler or bondo. I just want the new metal welded in and then ground flush with the body followed by a coat of primer. What do you guys think of this quote? Hes not going to do the front fenders, hood, or trunk lid. Here are some pics of all the rust on my car. (I already cut out most of it) I also have rust in the door jams( small holes) and near the windshield. So please guys, give me some feed back.

Attachments

• cuda after rust.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
  • cudapanal.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 224
  • cuda12.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 216
  • cuda17.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 219
If He's putting it in epoxy primer I'd say not a bad price.

If you don't have the time, skill, or tools to do it, you will have to pay someone to do it. Also what is your time line on the car? Is it going to save you time to have someone else do it? Or is the car going to sit for years before being done anyways? Also if this shop is a fairly large shop it depends on it's collision work to make money... your car may sit and get done as fill in time.

Yes the price includes epoxy primer. Its a kind of a big small shop if that makes any sense. Its a father and son that run it and they have about 10 cars in there at all times. SO its a busy smaller shop. The father was really excited when i drove in. "I have seen one of these since 1984!." The father himself is going to be the guy that does the work. I have all the tools and enough skill to do eveything (except the roof) but, I do not have the time at all. IM taking 23 units and I was promoted to squad leader in my NROTC unit so im very busy. So busy that in order to work on the cuda I have to skip meal hours because thats the only time open. The schools auto shop is closed on the weekend so that take away valuable time I could be using. I plan on dropping into the shop like once or twice a week to check on the work. My goal is to get this car done and driving by september of this year.

Around these parts that is more than reasonable for the amount of work involved. I am presuming the underside is OK and not included.

Grant

I dont know how, but there isnt even surface rust on the floors. I felt like I was in the twilight zone when I ripped out the carpet and crawled underneth. I do however, have surface rust on the trunk floor(not included in the price). Well thanks guys. Ill most likey be dropping the car off next week.

I think thats an awesome price. I dont think at that price they will hammer and dolly all the metal to where there is no filler. Even so theres nothing wrong with a skim coat to dress new metal. I say get er done.Does anyone else see a face when they look at Jims avatar?

don't know how your going to make it look nice in final coat or even primer with no filler, you can make really nice patches and welds but that still doesn't even out pannel differences. Theres only so much welds can do then there needs to be a little filler to make the surface completely true

-
Back