Tool kit for ft end rebuild?

-

Geo4K

Just your average Gearhead.
Reaction score
I have just received all the bits and pieces to rebuild the front end of my Dart. A local friend of mine mentioned that there was a "tool" kit of sorts that would really make the process of removal and reinstallation of the new bushings, etc. a much easier job. Would anyone here point me in the right direction, or pass along any suggestions for this?

Props to 67CudaFB for showing you the exact tool kit you need. If that fits your budget, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it. I rebuilt my front end the hard way. I did eventually got it done, but I sure wish I had that kit.

X2 on the tool kit. Not everyone has a shop like on TV and be able to fab up something. I'll admit, I may not use my kit a second time for years, but just having it is peace of mind.

Mancini racing sells a sweet complete kit.

I have just received all the bits and pieces to rebuild the front end of my Dart. A local friend of mine mentioned that there was a "tool" kit of sorts that would really make the process of removal and reinstallation of the new bushings, etc. a much easier job. Would anyone here point me in the right direction, or pass along any suggestions for this?

Never heard of a took kit per se. There are five tools not usually found in the average tool box that I could recommend.

1. Small ball joint socket. Fits all through 72 A-body Mopars.
or
Medium ball joint socket. Fits 73-76 A-body, all B & C body Mopars.
2. Pickle fork (aka) Ball Joint Separator used in conjunction with BFH to work on the stubborn.
3. Ball joint press for tie rod ends.
4. Torsion bar grip. Used to extract TB from LCA without scratching the bar.
5. 4-6 ft. cheater bar. Usually needed to remove upper ball joint. Slips over breaker bar handle for improved leverage.

NOTES:
There is a large ball joint socket. It is used on Imperials and light trucks of the era.

The press and pickle fork can be borrowed from most big box parts stores. I'd be stunned if they had any of the others.

HAYNES MANUALS ARE WRONG ABOUT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT !

The UBJ is not a press fit, it is a screw fit.

Let me know if you need photos of anything except the cheater bar.

The mancini kit has screw type extractors to remove the upper and lower control arm bushings.
You can remove the lower bushings in less than 2 minutes using their tools.

Since ebay ads expire and become invisible over time - for the sake of someone who finds this 6 months from now :)

And the text, since the image shrunk to the point of being unreadable:

American Muscle 23000A

American Muscle Pro Tool Kit for A Body Mopars part number 23000 kit contains Upper Control Arm Bushing Remover & Installer #23471

This tool facilitates removel or installation of the upper control arm bushings. To pull an old bushing out place the cylinder of the tool on the outside of the control arm, insert the threaded rod and tighten it to extract the bushing. To install a new bushing place the cylinder of the tool on the inside of the control arm. insert the threaded rod and tighten it to pull the bushing into postion.

Lower Control arm Pivot Remover #23491

With this tool you can remove the lower control arm pivot without using a press. Once you have reomoved the pivot, the outside steel sleeve will be left in the lower control arm. Attach the tool to the lower control arm pivot and tighten it to remove the pivot. When the pivot has been removed, pull out the bushing and clean the inside of the steel sleeve. If you are replacing the bushing with rubber bushing remove the sleeve. You will replacve this with a new assembly consisting of a steel sleeve with the rubber bushing in place inside it. If you are using a polyurethane bushing leave the steel sleeve in place in the lower control arm and insert the bushing in place inside it.

Upper Ball joint Socket #23456

To remove the upper ball joint which is threaded into the upper control arm. The upper ball joint socket comes with a standard 1/2 inch drive which fits the needs of the home shop better than many other ball joint sockets which have 3/4 inch drive. American Muscle uses CNC technology to ensure manufacturing consistency of each upper ball joint socket, which is machined from 8620 alloy steel and heat-treated to provide hardness.

Torsion Bar Remover & Installer #23461

The torsion bar remover and installer tool helps make it easier for you to complete either action with the torsion bar. To remove the torsion bar, release the tension on it and remove the clip in the rear. Them clamp the torsion bar remover to the torsion bar and tap the tool with a hammer until the torsion bar is loose. To Install the torsion bar clamp the torsion bar installer to the torsion bar and tighten it. Tap the torsion bar with a hammer to seat the torsion bar back into its original position. install the clip in the rear. american Muscle uses CNC technology to ensure manufacturing consistency of each torsion bar remover/installer which is machined from high quality steel.

Lower Ball Joint Stud Remover #23459

Remove the lower ball joint stud from the lower control arm with this American Muscle tool, which makes a hard job easier. Place the tool over the lower control arm ball joint stud and tighten the bolt, which presses the stud out of the lower control arm assembly. This tool is machined from 8620 alloy steel

Upper Ball Joint Stud Remover #23481

Remove the upper ball joint from the knuckle with this tool . Place the tool between the upper and lower ball joint stud. Remove the upper ball joint stud nut. Put pressure on the tool, and steadily increase the pressure. While applying pressure hit the knuckle with a hammer. The stud should pop out. If it doesn't pop out .apply more pressure and hit it with the hammer again. You may need to repeat this sequence several times.
All American Muscle Tools are made in the U.S.A.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 5.41.17 PM.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 5.41.36 PM.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 184
Mancini is cheaper for the same kit and have sold it for years.

Wow - this forum is awesome. Kit ordered!

Thank you all for your fast replies and for your time!
I'm about ready to start my own Members Restorations thread.

-
Back