top end.

-

dragonrider

Reaction score
Just bought a 72 dart point system. Ran a bit off. So I did a tune-up. Points, plugs , new cap, wires, rotor ect... Runs fine at lower speed, but go to give it gas and it starts to pull back...? :banghead: Its been awhile since I have tuned up point system. Any help would be great.

What have you got the points set on? How did you set them? Dwell meter is really the only accurate way. Should be around 30* of dwell on the meter.

on big blocks i found if i set the points .002" smaller than stock, they run a little better. but dont get carried away. points are like carb settings, a little is a LOT. my 1967 factory manual says the 6 cyl dist points are set to .017-.023". try .015.

oops. I was thinkin small block. My apologies.

Sounds like the spark advance. This bogs down at higher speeds in the distributor.

Quote from Haynes slant six manual:

"The ignition advance is controlled both mechanically and by a vacuum operated system."

There are weights in the distributor that move in and out due to centrifugal force, thus making spark advancements at higher speeds.

There is also the vacuum hose that connects to the carb and is responsible for spark advancements.

New distributor? If you have a Haynes shop manual for slant sixes, there is a whole chapter on the ignition and spark system.

-
Back