Top Radiator hose angle on 340

-

big

69'GTS
Reaction score
Anyone know if it matters that the outlet height off the thermostat housing is higher then the port where it goes back into the radiator. Will this cause a air pocket issue ? I woulden't think so, but wondering how you guys are set up. I do have a overflow jug on the radiator with the hose running in the bottom, and I will be running a restrictor plate with a 3/4 " hole in it for a thermostat.

Anyone know if it matters that the outlet height off the thermostat housing is higher then the port where it goes back into the radiator. Will this cause a air pocket issue ? I woulden't think so, but wondering how you guys are set up. I do have a overflow jug on the radiator with the hose running in the bottom, and I will be running a restrictor plate with a 3/4 " hole in it for a thermostat.

No that shouldn't effect anything, However, I would drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the flat part of the thermastat to prevent creating an air pocket.

No that shouldn't effect anything, However, I would drill a couple of 1/8" holes in the flat part of the thermastat to prevent creating an air pocket.

I'm just going to run a washer in place of the thermostat with a 3/4 " hole. Would you still put the 1/8" holes in ?? Thanks

I'm just going to run a washer in place of the thermostat with a 3/4 " hole. Would you still put the 1/8" holes in ?? Thanks

No, if you run an empty hole there is no way for an air pocket to form,

No, if you run an empty hole there is no way for an air pocket to form,
Roger that, thats what I thought. I'm going out on a limb and trying the restrictor plate with the hole in hopes of cooling her down a bit. Running 210 on the highway and 215 in town with ambient temps of 80 deg. Too hot for me. It's got a new - big as I could fit alum. radiator, Fan shroud with duel 1400 CFM fans, and new 180 deg. stat. ??

Roger that, thats what I thought. I'm going out on a limb and trying the restrictor plate with the hole in hopes of cooling her down a bit. Running 210 on the highway and 215 in town with ambient temps of 80 deg. Too hot for me. It's got a new - big as I could fit alum. radiator, Fan shroud with duel 1400 CFM fans, and new 180 deg. stat. ??

180 thermastat? I thought it didn't have one.

180 thermastat? I thought it didn't have one.
That's why I'm going out on the limb to try the plate with the 3/4" hole. With the 180 thermostat it runs hot. tried changing the timming 5 deg and it only helped a couple of deg ( like 2 ). I'm going to swap out the Mopar perf. high flow water pump with a Milodon pump as well. (small leak in the casting of the mopar one)

Putting in the Milodon water pump and restrictor plate with the 3/4" hole for the thermostat friday night. Will let you know if she runs cooler with this set up or not.

This may sound wierd, but is it possible that the flow is too good? Have run across something like this before. Fluid wasn't in radiator long enough to cool down. Going from 160º to 180º T-stat cured it.

???? don't know for sure, but don't think this is the issue. Had a new,and tested good 180 in it already but was still running hot. Ended up working this weekend, so if I get it all back together this week I'll test it and post my results. Thanks for the replies. Darn Mopars anyways !!

Got it together tonight and went on a test run. Restricter plate has a 7/8 " hole in it. Ran 180 after 15 minutes of idleing, 180 as well down the Highway @ 2500 RPM's. 190 around town.:cheers:

-
Back