Top ram repair/replace?

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hi all,
noticed my left rear floor was wet with auto trans fluid. The top cylinder seems to be wet too. I read somewhere that these CANNOT be repaired, and somewhere else they CAN be repaired pretty easily. Can anyone put this straight?

Hi all,
noticed my left rear floor was wet with auto trans fluid. The top cylinder seems to be wet too. I read somewhere that these CANNOT be repaired, and somewhere else they CAN be repaired pretty easily. Can anyone put this straight?

I have not seen any way to repair mine (66 dart) I was able to get the top "Eye" off my rod but was unable to even move the top seal in the cylinder. there is no "good" way to remove the top or bottom caps to get at the seal from the inside since I don't have a crimp roller to put the cylinder back on. I know that there are some top ram cylinders that can be rebuilt (mercedes being one of them along with Audi since they are threaded for rebuild purposes) but not the 63-6 range A bodies or mustangs(65-till fox bodied cars for sure) or chevys(60-66 I've tried a lot of the years since I love most convertibles anyways)
if you have an early A 63-66 then ebay is your friend on that cylinder and even the later years that changed style are on it for a decent price.

I have not seen any way to repair mine (66 dart) I was able to get the top "Eye" off my rod but was unable to even move the top seal in the cylinder. there is no "good" way to remove the top or bottom caps to get at the seal from the inside since I don't have a crimp roller to put the cylinder back on. I know that there are some top ram cylinders that can be rebuilt (mercedes being one of them along with Audi since they are threaded for rebuild purposes) but not the 63-6 range A bodies or mustangs(65-till fox bodied cars for sure) or chevys(60-66 I've tried a lot of the years since I love most convertibles anyways)
if you have an early A 63-66 then ebay is your friend on that cylinder and even the later years that changed style are on it for a decent price.

Thanks a lot! Guess I'll forget about the repair and get a new one.

And you do not want leaks... the side panels and rear seat upholstery are expensive.

-
Back