top repair

-

wlecat

Reaction score
my back window piece is shot
clouded plastic is cracked and zipper is torn loose rest of the top is good.
anyone know where I can get it repaired in the NJ/eastPA area?

Can't help as i'm in Australia, but just wondering what car is it you have?
I'm always interested in the answeres that are posted on this great forum - lots to learn - especially if it's about my model.
Good luck with your ??

The 1967 Cuda is supposed to have a glass back window in the convertible top. If it's plastic, someone must have changed it out over the years. You can buy a new glass window for it and just zip it in if the zipper on the top isn't torn too.

The 1967 Cuda is supposed to have a glass back window in the convertible top. If it's plastic, someone must have changed it out over the years.
True, glass curtain (name of this section of convertible top) is what car was fitted with from factory.

You can buy a new glass window for it and just zip it in if the zipper on the top isn't torn too.

Not true, there is a bit more to it than that.

Factory curtain is a separate section of top that has glass window welded in place, as well as aftermarket plastic window stile curtains, and is fastened to metal at trunk along gutter rail by screws, and held by zipper to a length of fabric which is stapled to the rear top bow.

Most top sellers offer plastic window curtains for these cars as a lower cost alternative to OEM glass. Both glass and plastic stile curtains can be purchased separately from full replacement top package, and install the same way.

Chances are good if the rear curtain is badly weathered with rotted zipper & window, top padding and top is also in poor condition as well. At a minimum replace top padding in conjunction with curtain and get a few more years of use out of the old top, or replace the whole shoot’en match; top, cables, tack strips etc.

Not true, there is a bit more to it than that.

Factory curtain is a separate section of top that has glass window welded in place, as well as aftermarket plastic window stile curtains, and is fastened to metal at trunk along gutter rail by screws, and held by zipper to a length of fabric which is stapled to the rear top bow.
Thanks for the clarification wjajr. I hadn't looked at mine that closely yet. Maybe I should have done that before opening my mouth?:eek:ops:

I had my top replaced by a guy outside of Bethlehem Pa. He was on union Blvd between Bethlehem and Allentown. He also did my sons car, both came out nice!! I wish I could remember his name. I hope this helps.

Got it, Rayco is the name and the address is 560 Union Blvd, Allentown

Thanks for the clarification wjajr. I hadn't looked at mine that closely yet. Maybe I should have done that before opening my mouth?

Think nothing of it. If you haven’t had a top apart to repair it, or read about their installation, it can be a bit of a mystery. Most convertible top installs are the same process, and utilize the same general architecture.

One can find several tutorials on line that walk you through an install. The concept of an install is not complicated, but the execution of it can be fussy slow work.

Here are a few sites:
http://www.upholster.com/auto/convertible-domestic.html
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0712_install_convertible_top/viewall.html

-
Back