Top ring Installation

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
Just a quick question, I'm installing my rings (sealed power e-251k30) and the top ring has a moly face. There is no dot or bevel on it, it looks the same either way. Can it be installed both ways? Or do I need a new set of rings?

How about a chamfer on the inside? Do you have the installation paperwork ?

There is no chamfer on them at all. And I had a set of the same rings before and they had a chamfer and a dot. The instructions say if tree are no marking they go either way, but I dont know why it would be different with these same rings from before.

I'm assuming you checked all top rings. Sometimes if you look at the cross section of the ring on the end, you can tell.

Just talked to my cousin that was at a store, they had two boxes of rings, which were exactly the same. But compared to mine were completely different than the set that I have. Supposed to have a beveled top ring with a dot, and the second ring has no bevel and a dot. Almost like they are mixed up on my set. So I got another set of rings that are correct.

Is it uncommon to have a bad set of rings?

No, not really. When I was in the Parts Supply business, I saw few of them. Keep us posted.

No. Some have no identifying marks or bevels at all. They install whichever way you put them on. Not all rings are direction specific.

I can see that, but these rings are completely different than my old set with the same part number. So I think something is wrong with them, I compared them to two other sets with the same part number.

I can see that, but these rings are completely different than my old set with the same part number. So I think something is wrong with them, I compared them to two other sets with the same part number.

Ok.

Look at the outer edge to make sure that it's not tapered.

Is there a dot on it? the dot goes upward toward the top of the piston. ]

Check for chamfers on the inner and outer corners...

If not, then it may not make a difference....

Make sure that rings are free spinning in the piston grooves.

Also make sure to separate the two compression and two thin oil ring ring gaps a minimum of 90° apart from each other before installing.

Ok so this is really weird. I have both boxes in front of my, the old box, and the new box that I just got.

The new box is exactly like my old rings I used last time, and the original box I got is a bit different.

The top rings on the original box are thinner up and down, but thicker the width wise if that makes sense. The second rings are the same.

I'm guessing that one is an updated version or something. The box I just picked up has dots on both rings, and is the same one I used last time. I'm thinking I should use that one, probably good that the ring is thicker as well.

So I think I figured out what I am going to do. The original box I had was the newer and updated box, I measured and the ring is the same thicknes, but is deeper in the ring land. And there are no dots, so because there are no dots on the first ring just orientent them and put them any way?

So I think I figured out what I am going to do. The original box I had was the newer and updated box, I measured and the ring is the same thicknes, but is deeper in the ring land. And there are no dots, so because there are no dots on the first ring just orientent them and put them any way?

No. Throw them in the trash.

I put these up to show you guys what I mean, the one with the pink paint mark on it is the new box I picked up today, and is the one that is exactly like my old rings that worked perfectly.

Kinda thinking about using the box like my old rings because they worked great.

Edit: whoops dont know why they are upside down, sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_3096.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_3093.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3095.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3098.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3097.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 225
They seem to fit, but I roughly measured the grove in the piston and got about .189 where the ring is .182, the other ring is .142, al a lot more room.

you don't want them too loose or they will knock out the ring land on the piston and if they are to tight they will start sticking. They gum up alot easier. result will be another tear down. when it start blowing oil after 10k miles. I would really look at another box of ring's. Just FYI

That makes sense. And both rings are the same thickness, the only difference is how deep they go into the piston groove.

Currently I am filing down the second rings as they are both the same, and I will probably use the new box of rings that I got as they are identical to the old rings I had in the motor before.

Is there any reason that the ring would be wider? Or do you think I just got an odd box.

I would say Odd but not uncommon. In a mass produced setting wrong stuff can get passed off as the right part. It is up to the installer to be careful as you are doing. That is how great engines are built. Don't be afraid to take a part back to the store or toss it when in doubt.

I think you need to remeasure. Your calipers in the picture are on/off the jaws. When measuring for comparison its important to be close to the same area on the jaws. If you measure on the sliding part you can get a wrong reading. Go here if ya want all the engineering mumbo jumbo. http://korihandbook.federalmogul.com/en/index.htm

-
Back