Torque Converter ID

-

64physhy

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the keyway on a 904 vs 999 torque converter? Reason I ask is because the purple torque converter that I’ve had laying around for years, thinking it was for a 904, will not fit in what I’m pretty sure is a 1985 999. Look at the difference in the slot sizes of the two (rusty one is the one that was in the trans). Is my purple one actually for a 727, or are the earlier 904 converters just not interchangeable with ‘80’s 999?

32034077-42E9-40E3-8B20-0DCE7D68A01F.jpeg

To answer your first question. Pump gears(for the 904) are the same from 1960-2003 for the lug type converter. In 1993 they also had a milled flat converter hub(no slots).
From the photo, the painted converter looks like a 904 converter and the unpainted one a 727. I say that, as the hubs, at least to me, appear to to be different in diameter. Measure the hubs, and the one with the smaller diameter would be the 904 converter. Again, I can't tell from the photo, but the the purple converter could be a lockup style as Chrysler had both lockup and non lockup transmissions in their cars .

To answer your first question. Pump gears(for the 904) are the same from 1960-2003 for the lug type converter. In 1993 they also had a milled flat converter hub(no slots).
From the photo, the painted converter looks like a 904 converter and the unpainted one a 727. I say that, as the hubs, at least to me, appear to to be different in diameter. Measure the hubs, and the one with the smaller diameter would be the 904 converter. Again, I can't tell from the photo, but the the purple converter could be a lockup style as Chrysler had both lockup and non lockup transmissions in their cars .
The unpainted one is the one that came out of the 904 (999). If I remember correctly, the purple one was in a race-built 904 I got about 15 years ago, so very well could be a lock-up converter. I never knew that the pump slots were different for locking & non-locking. Thank y’all for the info. Now I guess I’ll have to get a helicoil to fix the boogered up flex plate hole.

Count the splines on both converters. If they are completely drained u should be able to see a difference in the front of the hub that goes into the crank. The non lu will have splines to the end. Kim

-
Back