torque converter question.

-

black_bishop

Reaction score
All right guys, being fairly new to mopar, I am in a quandry over stock style torque converters.

I have a 1976 440 from a motor home which i assume is a cast crank. I have traded the 727 from the motor home for the 727 from a 69 RR. Which torque converter would I want to keep? I have to give the guy I traded one of them (doesn't matter to him which one). Do i need a neutral balance converter or a weighted one? Do i need to change flywheels?

Any help or input I could get on this would be much appreciated.

If the converter that came with the 440 has weights on it keep that one as your 440 is externally balance.

They should both be 24 spline. But I would remove both converters and count the imput shaft spines. Who knows that 69 RR might have had an older trans installed in it at one time in it's life.

All right guys, being fairly new to mopar, I am in a quandry over stock style torque converters.

I have a 1976 440 from a motor home which i assume is a cast crank. I have traded the 727 from the motor home for the 727 from a 69 RR. Which torque converter would I want to keep? I have to give the guy I traded one of them (doesn't matter to him which one). Do i need a neutral balance converter or a weighted one? Do i need to change flywheels?

Any help or input I could get on this would be much appreciated.

If the 'Runner had a 383 in it, it should have had a steel crank.

If it had a 383 with the steel crank, the converter would be one with a narrow ring gear and no weights on the mounting cover. (what is called a 12" converter).

Your 440 converter would be one with a wide ring gear, but will have 2 weights measuring 1.40" x .75" x .250" on the mounting cover. This one is classed as an 11" converter.

Both classed as a medium stall converter.

And unless somebody changed something over the years, they will both have 24 splines.

Hope this helps.

-
Back