Torque converter question

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
My wood hauling truck has a 1965 383 engine with 727 Tranny in it now but the motor is getting weak. I have a 440 from a motor home that is either a 1975 or 76 that I want to swap out. Will the torque converter from the 383 work with the 440 or are they balanced different? I just had the Tranny rebuilt and bought a new torque converter so I would like to use it if possible. Thanks for the info.

The 75-6 440 has a cast crank, the 383 has a forged crank, different balance!!!!

being out of a motorhome maybe the crank is forged steel? check it out, if it is then it is internally balanced and will work with the 383 converter, if cast and externally balanced get a B & M flexplate and use the 383 converter

The 1965 727 should have different splines on the input shaft than the later trans/converter. You might be forced to use your existing converter. Get the balanced flexplate if needed.

'65 will have the smaller crank hub, and the trans uses a different input shaft spline count. you need an early 413 for it, or I'm fairly sure you need to replace the input shaft, pump, and 2nd gear drum to the later stuff and run the later convertor.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will check to see if the 440 crank is cast or forged. I will get the B&M flex plate if needed. I probably won't get around to doing the swap until spring but I want to make sure I have everything figured out so I can get it done in a weekend without any surprises.

-
Back