torque converter questions

-
How can I drain my tc? Can a drain hole be drilled? If so, how an where?

I believe there is a drain plug on the converter.

Rotate your engine clockwise from the crank bolt a 1/4 of a turn.
Jack up car and support with stands.
Crawl under there and remove dust shield (if there is one) and look for the drain plug on converter.
If you don't see it, rotate engine a little more.
Repeat until you find the plug.

Looks like a factory hi stall converter,but has an AAMCO tag welded to it. Been sitting for 30 years. Saw some dirt in it,and would like to drain it.

Looks like a factory hi stall converter,but has an AAMCO tag welded to it. Been sitting for 30 years. Saw some dirt in it,and would like to drain it.

Interesting. I know my factory converter has a drain on it. Its on the converter face on the snout side. I'm not how you would drain it without sucking the fluid out with brake bleeder tool or something similar.

Are you going to use it?

I sucked mine out with a brake bleeder kit... (snout up) then put some gas in it and sloshed it around and sucked that out as well... did that 15-20 times till it wasn't dirty anymore then put some atf in it and sloshed that around and sucked it out a couple more times and then put it in the car.... probably not the best thing to do but, I felt pretty sure it was at least clean inside.....

I knew the converter had low miles on it, (I bought it new) but my tranny had burned the clutches after I swapped the 318 out for a 360....

I have also seen this no drain plug my 72 duster 340 when I pulled the transmission out for the first time I notice no plug and I have had the car since 73 so I know it was original from the factory go figure!!!

Yea, about 72 ma mopar did away with the drain plug.why? don't have a answer.

-
Back