Torque converter stall identification?

-

73 408 Duster

Reaction score
Bought two 727 BB Torque Flights that came with torque converters. Is there anyway to tell what stall these converters are?

Thanks

Need a lot more info than that. Are they stock converters or aftermarket? Do they have any numbers on them? What diameters are they? Pics?

Yes, sorry for the vague information. Here is what I found with picture:

Both are orange in color, I believe they are stock.
Measurements are 13 3/8" OD flywheel and 12" OD across body.
One has the markings R 359, 4523, 4525, a G on the body, and a V on the other side. This one supposedly came out of a 1969, 727/383.

And the other has D 282, and a yellow RPM rebuilt sticker on it. This one supposedly came out of a 1976-1977, 727/400.

Is there anyway of telling what stall they are and if they are any good. Are they worth rebuilding or should I just use them for cores?

As a side note I will be needing a 2500 to 2800 stall for my 451 / 727 build combo, any suggestions on where to get the most bang for the buck?
Thanks

Attachments

• TC.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1,300
Sorry to take so long getting back. Busy day. Sorry but I don't know much about identifying them by the physical description other than their the std. 12" converters. I have a factory serv. manual for 68 and 70 and they both show 2 converters for a 383. The 383 2 barrel converter is specd at 1850-2100 stall and the 383 4 barrel converter is specd at 2350-2650 stall. Sorry I don't have a manual new enough to show the 400 converter but from past experience (I owned several C bodies with 383's and 400 when I was a kid) the 400 usually stalled right about the same as a 383 converter. The big range the factory serv. manual shows is probably due to mfg. tolerances and every engine can put out a different ammount of torque that can greatly affect the stall speed. Point in case is the PTC converter I have in my Cuda. Originally I had it spec'd to stall 3000 behind a 360 I had in the car. Last year I built a nice torquey 408 and put it in and the converter will stall 3500+ behind it.

No real way to tell for sure if their good without having them cut open and inspected. They could actually be good converters but you never know if their full of crap from setting open or maybe they came out of a trans. that cooked so I'd use them for cores.

There are several good converter companies but a good bang for the low buck if it's just an average street car is an 11" PTC. I get them from www.coperacingtrans.com for about $300. John (the owner) is a member of the board too. Super nice and knowledgeable fellow. If you plan on racing it much I'd step up to a higher quality converter, which PTC also makes, as well as Dynamic, Ultimate, BTE, COAN, Turbo Action (also known as TA) Hughes, TSR and probably a few I forgot, LOL... Anymore it seems there are as many converter companies as there are car brands but the ones I listed I'd trust.

-
Back