Torque converter stall speed

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
Hello All,

Pulled motor and transmission from the 74 Duster and found that it had a 78/79 727 transmission with a lockup converter. I'm trying to determine the estimated stall of the converter and not coming up with much. The converter has a CVC or Recon P/N: C24LUHS and everything I've read or found only refers to it as a High Stall but does not provide any ranges. Does anyone have any idea what High Stall may refer to in terms of a stall range? This P/N cross references to several other Mfr's and they all pretty much say the same thing. Generally there are 2 P/N for each application and 1 is referred to as Low Stall and the other being High Stall. Maybe someone here has info on this.

v/r
Ron

That is a Recon/Axium/DACCO part number.

It has a stall of 2400-3000RPM.

I'm betting this convertor will disappoint you and I wouldn't except much in the way of efficiency either.

Not sure if this will help you.
IMG_20170216_072414.jpg

That is a Recon/Axium/DACCO part number.

It has a stall of 2400-3000RPM.

I'm betting this convertor will disappoint you and I wouldn't except much in the way of efficiency either.
Thanks roccodart440,
If you you don't mind me asking, where did you find that information and can you elaborate on the disappointment and efficiency aspect.

v/r
Ron

Thanks roccodart440,
If you you don't mind me asking, where did you find that information and can you elaborate on the disappointment and efficiency aspect.

v/r
Ron

I googled the part number.

Cheap convertors tend to be inefficient. Meaning the slip and create more heat. Dependingon where it stalls, lets say closer to 2400 that's now far from a stock converter.

I'd get a convertor for your application from a reputable vendor.

I googled the part number.

Cheap convertors tend to be inefficient. Meaning the slip and create more heat. Dependingon where it stalls, lets say closer to 2400 that's now far from a stock converter.

I'd get a convertor for your application from a reputable vendor.
Thanks again roccodart440,
I tried various google searches and never came up with those figures.

v/r
Ron

The converter is a 1978 and up 11" (wide ring gear) 727 Lockup for a 400 engine. Stall speed rating is probably in the area of 2400-2700 rpm, depending on the application from Chrysler.
I don't know what you're size engine you're running, so the stall speed, in your case, may be lower than what it's rating is. It's just a rebuilt converter for stock applications. Nothing wrong with the converter, and Recon from my past experience built pretty good stock converters.
You don't mention anything about the engine in your car, so it's almost impossible to give you any advise as to what stall will work best for your setup.

The converter is a 1978 and up 11" (wide ring gear) 727 Lockup for a 400 engine. Stall speed rating is probably in the area of 2400-2700 rpm, depending on the application from Chrysler.
I don't know what you're size engine you're running, so the stall speed, in your case, may be lower than what it's rating is. It's just a rebuilt converter for stock applications. Nothing wrong with the converter, and Recon from my past experience built pretty good stock converters.
You don't mention anything about the engine in your car, so it's almost impossible to give you any advise as to what stall will work best for your setup.
Thanks Transman,
I was not ready to ask for advice on another converter yet and was merely attempting to establish the stall rating of the torque converter in the car. Currently the torque converter with P/N: C24LUHS was in the car with a 318 and it is my understanding that this torque converter was for 225 and 318 applications with int. balanced crank, I just couldn't nail down the stall value. Is 2400-2700 a little high for stock application?

Thanks Transman,
I was not ready to ask for advice on another converter yet and was merely attempting to establish the stall rating of the torque converter in the car. Currently the torque converter with P/N: C24LUHS was in the car with a 318 and it is my understanding that this torque converter was for 225 and 318 applications with int. balanced crank, I just couldn't nail down the stall value. Is 2400-2700 a little high for stock application?
My mistake on the converter application. It is indeed for the leaning tower of power and the 318 engine. I had dropped down one converter in my catalog and gave the specs for the 400 engine. Anyway the stall speeds 73swinger18 listed are about right on. Depending on whose catalog you look at the stall speeds can be different. I have a restoration guide for e bodies and they say a 225 6 stalls at 2000 rpm and the 318 has a stall speed of 2200 rpm out of the same converter. The V8 stalls higher because of it's increased torque. When I worked in the converter industry, one of the questions we would ask customers was if it was a factory installed converter they were looking to replace, what did the decal say that the factory installed on the converter, LS OR HS. They actual stall speed never came up. I don't think that any of the converter rebuilders I know of bother to put stock converters on a dyno to check for stall speed. Too expensive and too time consuming to do this for a stock converter. High performance stalls a different story. If your car is a driver with a stock or basically stock engine I can't see any reason to worry about stall speed in your application. Chrysler produced a ton of these over the years, and I'll bet the question of stall speed never came up from any of the many car owners. While you don't say anything about the lockup, would it be safe to assume you've got the lockup function working and are happy with it?
If in the future, you're planning on doing more to your car with increased horsepower and the like, then maybe we can help you with getting the right converter for the new application.

Is 2400-2700 a little high for stock application?

No, not at all.

A stock 318 makes 305 lb-ft at 2,500.

In a perfect world the convertor should stall 500RPm higher than peak torque. On the street this often becomes a balancing act, often ending with the flash stall being at or slightly under peak torque depending on the application.

You can see how this convertor would be perfectly matched to a stock 318.

-
Back