torque converter troubles

-

slim 67

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here, but have been reading posts for some time and greating appreciate all the valuble info. I have gotten.
I recently installed a mp 166K 24 spline torque converter in my 67 dart 273/904. I put a quart of fluid in the converter before I installed it but now my car will not move, or even act like it is going into gear.

I let it idle in neutral for 15 mins or so checking the fluid several times and actually added about a quart to keep it on the full mark.

The only other thing that I can think of is, if you made no other changes, then the turbine wheel that splines to the input shaft of the tranny is not. The spline pattern of the disc may be larger than the shaft and the tranny ain't turning. If thats the case then it'll be the first I've heard of it. Try running the engine and go from park to low half a dozen times to work out a air lock in the system first.

The 67 on down 904's use a course input spline, I think it's 18 splines. The 68 on up 904's use a 24 or 27 spline count on the input shaft. I have a 67 904 in my barracuda and changed the input shaft to a 68 on up shaft. The reason being there are no high stall converters for the 67 on down 904's. Looks like you have to remove the trans. If you change the input you'll have to change the input drum also. The Mopar converters do not fit 67 down 904's. Hope this helps you. Bob

Thank you very much to everone who responded. I guess that's why I stay in this hobby after 20 years, I'm always learning something new. Thanks again!

-
Back