Torque converters

-

DAN1234

Reaction score
Just wondering I have a torque coverter that fits a 727 trans that has no drain plug would any body know what year this converter would be ? reason I am asking is that my spare which came from a 72 340 has a drain plug thanks gentlemen

Any more information? Ring gear size, is it a factory converter, a rebuilt unit, or someones high stall?

thanks for getting back so soon it is a factory coverter that is in my 72 340 duster that I bought from some one else that was already built I have no idea what year the engine or the trans are.My other 72 Duster 340 that has all the original parts has a drain on the converter the factory manual for 72 shows a drain also.just wondering what year did they not put plugs on

I don't recall any years that did or did not have a drain plug in them. I worked in the industry, and sometimes we'd get cores in that did not have a drain plug in them, these were usually units that had been rebuild in the past. I was over at the plant Tuesday, and had a quick look at a few TF converters, and they all had drain plugs in them.
I think the unit that has no drain plug has been rebuilt in the past. Is it a used unit you've bought? If it is, unless you know everything about it, I would hesitate to use it. Over the years I've seen many "rebuilt units" that have never been apart, just nicely painted. A converter is a sealed unit, and unless you cut it open, you never know what the internals look like. The bearings and washers maybe ready to expire, and the roller one-way clutch may need to be tended to. When we rebuilt converters these internal items were replaced.
IMHO the best use for a used converter is a door stop.

-
Back