Torque Convertor question

-

dch-65

Reaction score
I have a 998 transmission behind a stroked 390 engine. After about 1500 miles the transmission was slipping badly and when it was removed there was a lot of band material in the pan. The transmission has been repaired. My question is concerning the torque convertor. Is there any way to flush the convertor to clean out any debris or does it have to be cut apart to be cleaned and inspected. It is from a local shop, BDR convertors but the owner is no longer in business due to severe health issues so I can't go back to him for any repair work. If it has to be cut apart any suggestions for another shop in the Western New York / Western PA area.
Thanks
Dave

Every trans shop worth a crap has a flushing machine for them, and it can be done without cutting it open.
It's standard procedure when replacing a trans that fried.

Shouldn't cost more than about 20 bucks.

Every trans shop worth a crap has a flushing machine for them, and it can be done without cutting it open.
It's standard procedure when replacing a trans that fried.

Shouldn't cost more than about 20 bucks.
i would have to say no, most shops dont have a convertor flusher anymore. they just replace, specialy when their fried. the o/p convertor probly dosent have a drain plug, so you would have to drill a hole and weld it up after. or he could get creative and tap it for a plug for future servicing. chances are none of the junk would have been sucked up through the filter and into the convertor anyways. just flip it over into a bucket and let it drain over nite and your good to go.

i would have to say no, most shops dont have a convertor flusher anymore. they just replace, specialy when their fried. the o/p convertor probly dosent have a drain plug, so you would have to drill a hole and weld it up after. or he could get creative and tap it for a plug for future servicing. chances are none of the junk would have been sucked up through the filter and into the convertor anyways. just flip it over into a bucket and let it drain over nite and your good to go.

Thanks I'll try that tonight

i should add to my comment. as long as the tranny didnt create metal, your good to go. if the pan was full of heavy metal you need flush the convertor properly.

-
Back