Torque Convertor Swap

-

73golddusterkid

Gold Duster Kid
Reaction score
My Dad is wanting to swap a 78 360 out of an rv into his 65 sport fury, both vehicles have 727's. We're wondering if the torque convertor from the rv will swap into his trans in the fury? Any input is appreciated

you would probably be better off using the engine trans and converter out of the 78 that way you know it will all work together

Forgot that the 360s were externally balanced, the only problem with the rv trans is that it has a short tail shaft

You would probably be better of swapping the '65 tail shaft and housing onto the RV trans.

No that won't work. Mopar changed the input shaft spline count in 67 from 19 spline to 24 spline. Plus there's the balance problem. To change the output shaft you have to completely disassemble the trans. cause the output shaft comes out the front. That means re-shimming everything up and replacing all seals so considering the age of the trans. you might as well rebuild it. What you can do is use the original 65 trans. and converter and by a B&M 360 flex plate that will do the balancing.

what engine does the 65 have? I am guessing poly 318. can you interchange an "A" with an "LA" trans?

My bad guys its been a couple of days, yes the fury has a poly 318 in it and everything is bone stock on the car. My only question is a friend of mine gave me an sfi 360 flex-plate a while ago, will this work or will i need a different one?

My bad guys its been a couple of days, yes the fury has a poly 318 in it and everything is bone stock on the car. My only question is a friend of mine gave me an sfi 360 flex-plate a while ago, will this work or will i need a different one?

Depends on whether it was for a standard external balance 360 (probably was) or it could have been for a 360 that was internally balanced (probably wasn't). Does is it have a big half moon cutout on one side like the bottom one is this link?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-10236/

If so it'll work. If not this B&M 10236 is what you need.

Yea the flexplate has the half moon cut out on it. So we should use the 65's torque convertor over the rv's? I only ask because this motor has an rv grind cam and the heads have been milled (along with the edelbrock performer manifold) and i figured that we should run what came with the motor.

You have no choice but use the 65 converter in a 65 transmission. Re-read my post # 6 and you'll see I said they changed the spline count in 67 so the newer converter won't fit in an older transmission. Also note that an RV grind cam is ground for alot of torque so a stock converter will work fine.

My bad tracy its hard to pay attention when i'm doing homework at the same time lol Will the convertor handle the torque being as its the original?

-
Back