torque convertor

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Getting some different answers, from chevy guys mostly, but my thoughts are a torque convertor should respond better from an engine that produces more torque. Am I wrong in thinking this ?

depends on your definitions of "respond better" and "more torque"

Years ago I ran a pretty much stock 383 only .030 to clean up the bores and had a dynamic convertor for it and bracket raced it. It was a neutral bal. conv. This same conv. is going to be used behind a stock 360 and I just received a flexplate yesterday from century 440 on here to use this conv. THANKS!! The 383 was in a lighter car 73 dart no interior and cage ect with 4.11 gear. The car I have now is a sport with full interior and I feel quite sure much heavier with right now a 3.55, but have access to a 3.91 and a 4.88. Planning to run just 1/8 mile but maybe 1/4 once and a while, not sure. Not looking to go fast just consistent and since doing some limited track time just trying to do this on the cheap and use what I have or can obtain at reasonable coins. I'm thinking with the 360 having a little longer stroke and being in a heavier car the stall off the line should be higher, am I wrong in thinking this?

the added weight of the car will make it stall higher
the lower torque output of the motor will make it stall lower

the gears, higher numerical gear will stall higher (I think) and lower will stall, well, lower

add it all up and who knows, it might stall close to the same RPM but it I had to guess, I would say it will stall lower, because the 360 doesn't make the down low torque the 383 makes to spin it

-
Back