torque shaft or z bar ?

-
I am sure that they can interchange, but mopar performance offered us a caution in the chassis manual not to use the \6 clutch linkage in a heavy duty v-8 application. They claim 6 cylinder clutch linkage is a whole lot lighter. I can attest to this being true in the trucks with manual transmission.

thanks the v8 is shorter by about a inch or so where is the best place to cut it down at i am sure it has been dune many times by some one out there

I am not sure on the cars and you may need to google up some diagrams but the v8 trucks I've worked on that didn't have a hydraulic clutch master/slave set up had a bracket that bolted to the side of the bell housing with three bolts and a hole for the Z-bar pivot. This made the V8 Z-baran inch shorter than the 6 cylinder bar. I know all the steel in the V8 bar was 50 to 100 percent thicker than the 6 cylinder stuff. I put a HD clutch on a 6 cylinder and oddly enough, the big NP-435 for the 6 cylinder had the holes for this set up. I had to switch over to a V8 linkage to actually get the clutch to disengage reliably due to the amount of flex in the \6 set up.

I personally am partial to the slam bang shifting set up as well. I have been wanting to try out one of the MacLeod hydraulic release bearings with a line lock to release clutch at starting line (hell, who am I kidding? Traffic Light!) but am hopeful to try it out on a B motor Dakota, one day....

-
Back