Torque strap

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I recently bought a torque strap from Schumacher for my car, however I`ve got a factory big block car and the strap would`nt bolt in on account of the bracket that supports the drivers side motor mount. Does any one know of a torque strap that`s made for use in a car with the factory big block K-member or do I get the eye bolts and chain out?

Longgone said:
I recently bought a torque strap from Schumacher for my car, however I`ve got a factory big block car and the strap would`nt bolt in on account of the bracket that supports the drivers side motor mount. Does any one know of a torque strap that`s made for use in a car with the factory big block K-member or do I get the eye bolts and chain out?

I'm using the Schumacher mounts and torque rod on my 71 demon with a 383 and the old small block k member with no problems. Is your problem with trying to locate the bottom bracket that the torque rod bolts into with the rubber donuts. If the bracket supplied can't be bolted into the BB K member you may have to fabricate your own bracket. I had to make a small modification to mine.

Yeah ,the "U" section on the K-member is totally inaccessible due to the factory mounts, so installing the anchor was impossible. I tried just about everything to try to retrofit the unit but to no avail. My car is particularly vulnerable to breaking motor mounts because it has the old sandwich style mounts. I used solid steel mounts in another car (a 68 Dart) and hated what it did with vibration transfer, so that`s not an option. The Schumacher people are working on something for the factory big blocks but haven`t produced anything so far. They basically said I`ll have to make my own, unless there`s someone else out there making one for the factory bb cars.

Not sure if this will work for you, but... Get a heavy duty turnbuckle from ace hardware. connect the L/S frt head to one end, either weld or loop the other end to the k-frame, turn till ya get the slack you want. Here's what I did to my SB Duster.

turnbuckle.jpg

Looks like the eyebolt/turnbuckle is what everyones using, I can save $50.00 with a trip to Home Depot.Thanks

I also used a turn buckle. Got a long one. Goes from the head down to a hole in the K member. One thing, the thread on one end is left hand. I found one
left hand nut at the hardware store. That way I can adjust it tight or just
slightly loose for street driving. That way you don't get all the vibrations in
normal driving.

Hi all
I used a piece of chain in the same place on my 340, it rattles a little on the P.S. pump, but it works. Just drill a hole in the K frame and bolt it on.
Dave C.
PS use nice shinney chain.

Throw a piece of old hose over the chain with some tie straps to stop the rattle/ wearing thru of your P/s pump!

I found a simple, cheap, and effective way to make a torque strap for most any application. I found this 1/4" stainless steel cable at the local bolt/hardware store and two clamps. About $4.00 for the three pieces. This stuff is strong and you can put it right where you need it. Here`s a pic....

IM000764 (Medium).JPG

I think if I needed something like that I'd go for functional, pretty, and insulated. I'd be on a parts yard huntng the smallest dogbone type support under the hood of front wheel drive buggies.

I think if I needed something like that I'd go for functional, pretty, and insulated. I'd be on a parts yard huntng the smallest dogbone type support under the hood of front wheel drive buggies.

Yeah , not pretty but definitely utilitarian.

This turnbuckle set up was on my car when I got it, I did not know this was a common fix guys used. Have had lots of Chevy guys ask me whats wrong with my engine mounts:angry7:

doggone 017 (Medium).jpg

Mine is a 340, not a big block but I went with the Schumacher early "A" tourqe strap, it bolts up to the factory swaybar mounting holes in the k-member, then bolts up to the motor mount. Can't remember what I paid, had it for about 5-6 years before I used it but very satisfied how well it fits and works!

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 073.jpg

I bought the same one as 66340SEDAN, but I have 2 64 K-Members & neither one has the sway bar mounting holes in it. Can't locate the holes using the bracket from behind because there isn't room to drill from the back after you mark the location. I wrote to Shumacher & they made a template for me. They emailed me yesterday asking for my snail mail address because they were worried that it would be distorted if they emailed it.

That's odd, my 66 k-frame was in my car from day one, slant six, no sway bar and it had the holes.

63 and 64 K members don't have sway bar holes, it wasn't and option then. 65 and 66 K members have sway bar holes. 65 was the first year Formula S barracuda that had sway bars and Commando 4 bbl engines.

-
Back