Torqueflite 904 Trans Filter Inspection Today

-

dibbons

Reaction score
When I found out in my recent reading that the earlier Torqueflites (with both front and rear pumps) use a different filter than the newer Torqueflites (sans rear pump) I was curious about the transmission I just had rebuilt (factory original 904 from the '65 Formula S).

Today after the engine installation (trans was installed awhile back) it was a good time to pull the pan. Just as I had imagined, the installed filter was the wrong one (correct filter is on the left in first photo). Now I'm not saying the rear pump would have been damaged without having its very own intake hole in the filter (like the correct filter has), but I just don't know.

So it's up to me to run some Naval Jelly in the bottom of the pan to remove a little surface rust, replace the filter with the correct version, and since I have it-replace the new cork gasket that I found installed with the upgraded re-usable gasket I have in stock.

wrong A:T filter 1.JPG

wrong A:T filter 10.JPG

wrong A:T filter 13.JPG

wrong A:T filter 14.JPG

wrong A:T filter 15.JPG

I wonder if the wrong filter I removed was not even replaced at the shop. Based on the color, it may just be the same filter that had been installed in the past?

They change color when they are wet with ATF. They don’t seem to change back to the new color either.

dip a corner of your new one in ATF and see what happens.

-
Back