Torsion bar crossmember installed/bolt holes too small?

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
Bought a TBC from a fellow member (didn't come with trans crossmember). Went to bolt my TC in and the bolts were too big (1/2" bolt 3/8 hole). Would you buy smaller bolts with big washers or find a crossmember with 3/8 bolts?

yea, the 67-69 A bodies, use a 1/2-13 bolt. do not use a smaller bolt as ur frame is drilled for a 1/2" bolt. just drill larger holes in the trans crossmember mount...

yea, the 67-69 A bodies, use a 1/2-13 bolt. do not use a smaller bolt as ur frame is drilled for a 1/2" bolt. just drill larger holes in the trans crossmember mount...

frame is drilled for 3/8 hole crossmember 1/2" (1/2" bolt 3/8 hole)

oh, haha, my own thread.

so ur saying ur frame is drilled for 3/8" bolts?? isnt it a 69?

oh, haha, my own thread.

so ur saying ur frame is drilled for 3/8" bolts?? isnt it a 69?

The car is a 69 but the frame (torsion bar crossmember was shot) I bought from a member in CA. It is evidently from a 70's Abody.
3/8" hole 1/2" bolts/TC

oh well damn. had you said that from the beginning! Or maybe i didnt catch it at first, but i see that u edited it probably after i read the original post..lol i thought u were just talking about the removable mount. but were talking surgery here..you cut the old one out and welded in a new one from a later car...then its up to you. id say its more work to drill for the 1/2" bolt holes cux then you gotta re-sleeve it for the larger bolt size so the frame dont crush when u tighten the bolts.

use 3/8 bolts with the correct year bolt in crossmember. or just use big washers...

..........I would get the right cross member........that is a structural part of the car.........u dont want any flexing there....kim.........

Get some Thick Hardened Washers bolt it all together and tack the washers with your welder. Take the Cross member back out and weld the washers in place. Maybe I am going over kill.....but this way you don't need to replace the cross member. Paint it all when you are done and BAM, its on like donkey kong!

If you are handy enough to change out the crosmember weld up the holes and redrill them.

-
Back