Torsion bar dust cover installation

-

DusterRookie

Reaction score
Looking for some help! Installing new torsion bars and can't figure out how to get the darned dust cover (boot, balloon seal or whatever it is called) over the end of the bar. The covers I bought are WAY to stiff to stretch that much so either there is a special tool, a trick or I have to split the inside part of the cover to allow it to slide over the end. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I oriented the bars and the poly boots on the LCA side, greased the end, put the boots on the floor tapered ends up and pushed the bar into it, lubed the bar and slid them to the opposite end. Install bar. Maybe unorthodox but worked for me. Then had to work the lip with a L-shaped pick tool to get them fully seated on TB crossmember.

I boiled them in water for a good while and used a lot of soap to slide them on I might have slid them over a big socket first then the torsion bar

Had this problem recently. I had rubber covers.

Tried the boiling water with grease and all. They ended up splitting anyway unfortunately. Using tape to basically seal them up.

So you were able to slide torsion bars in from engine side I guess. That could work for me if I drop the K member back out. Was hopeing I wouldn't have to disassemble what I just put in last month. Never dreamed the boots would be such a pain.
I boiled them in water for a good while and used a lot of soap to slide them on I might have slid them over a big socket first then the torsion bar
Had this problem recently. I had rubber covers.

Tried the boiling water with grease and all. They ended up splitting anyway unfortunately. Using tape to basically seal them up.
I have the rubber boots too. Got too rough with first one. It split. Got disgusted and decided it was Miller Time. Will look for poly boots and try again

Should be able to just drop the LCA's instead of the entire k-member and insert from the front.

-
Back