Torsion bar, header interference

-

PSUKev

Reaction score
Morning all, here's my situation...

First of all this is all in my 69 barracuda, I've got a factory small block K-frame that my 318 rests on, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Doug's Headers, mini starter and a set of 1" Just Suspension torsion bars.

I dropped the motor & trans back in the car last week and bolted up the headers, power steering box, fan, etc... Last night I tried sliding the torsion bars in and realized they hit the header, both driver and passenger side. At least I know the motor is sitting in there correctly since I have the problem on both sides but I was under the impression that Doug's headers fit very well (and other than the torsion bar issue, they do) and that I wouldn't have to heat them up or bend them or anything like that. They are also VERY close to the power steering box but I was alright with that.

Other than dimpling the header tube that's in the way does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative solution?

Thanks.

First of all make sure you have the proper headers. Confirm this by calling Doug's directly and explain the problem. If everything is good check the enclosed specs for engine placement. We have tested Doug's headers and generally the fit is very good but a mass produced part can vary from one set to the next.

Attachments

• Exhaust Alignment Thrust Line Specs.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 214
Thanks for the attachment Tom, much appreciated. I'll check to make sure I positioned the engine/trans properly then go from there.

I may have found the culprit. My measurements are as follows:
A (right): 13.75"
B (left): 16.25"
C (K-frame): 4.5"

Looks like my motor is sitting low. I'm assuming the biscuit mounts are a little on the thin side?

Attachments

• IMG_20130723_121218_139.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20130723_121336_691.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 156
-
Back