torsion bar help

-

csx452

Reaction score
I have a 72 Swinger. I plan on using Magnum Force upper control arms, Mancini Dynamic aluminum adjustable strut rods, and PST 1.03 torsion bars. Right now I have everything off in the front end. Brakes, spindles, strut rods, torsion bars, upper control arms, and lower control arms. Do I install the torsion bars before or after I install the upper control arms, and how do I properly clock the torsion bars? The original torsion bars had been replaced because of a broken bar by the previous owners mechanic and were not clocked correctly, so the bars were all the way down even though the adjusters were all the way up. I don't want to repeat their mistake.
Thanks,
Frank

I usually install the lower control arms first and then the torsion bars before I install anything else. Doesn't really matter as long as the LCA's are in. I just find it easier to install them without the UCA's and other stuff in the way.

Clocking them is pretty simple, just push the LCA's down as far as they'll go, then slide the torsion bars in. You may have to raise LCA's a little bit until the hexes are lined up and slide the torsion bars in. Just start with the LCA's as absolutely far down as they'll go and slide the torsion bars in as soon as the hexes line up.

Stock torsion bars have a 30* offset, but with 1.03" bars they're probably 0 offset. Basically, the offset it going to determine where the car sits with the adjusters. 1.03" bars don't need a 30* offset to get the ride height they need. But there are cases with not enough offset, more than a few people couldn't get enough adjustment with the Hotchkis torsion bars to get the proper ride height, they really sat in the weeds.

If the car ends up sitting too high, you can install the bars when the LCA's are closer to ride height vs all the way down, basically, you're lining them up in the 2nd position the hex will fit into instead of the 1st, if that makes sense. But, if your car sits too low you're basically stuck, because you're already installing the torsion bars with the LCA's as far down as they'll physically go, in that case you're up against the built in offset of the bar.

-
Back