Torsion Bar Help

-

YC dart

Reaction score
I've rebuilt the front end on the 68 Dart while all was out for paint preps. and have not touched the t-bars yet. I still know which is Right & Left but does it matter on how it is placed back in? I marked it so I could put them back in the same way, but now I am wanting to clean them up and paint them as well. So other than R or L and front & rear does it really matter? In other words how they rotate?

Dave

Speaking of torsion bars, can anyone out there tell me how to pre-load the torsion bars when installing them?
Thanks
Dwayne

No what you are asking dosn't matter. You put the rt on the rt and front to the front and so forth.

After rebuilding the front end of my 72 Dart and installing Disk brakes, I took my car to the tire shop to get a wheel alignment and they told me there was no pre-load on the torsion bars!!!!!!!!!!!!
I not sure what they are talking about and that is why I am asking the question here.
Dwayne

I'm about to re-install the whole front suspension and I'm under the impression that to install them correctly, you just drop the LCA's as far as they'll go and stab the T-bar through. Once you put it down on the ground, I think that should cover your pre-load problems.... I hope, (or I'll be here next week with the same post :p )

I'm about to re-install the whole front suspension and I'm under the impression that to install them correctly, you just drop the LCA's as far as they'll go and stab the T-bar through. Once you put it down on the ground, I think that should cover your pre-load problems.... I hope, (or I'll be here next week with the same post :p )

This is right you cant do it wrong unles you work really hard at it. Drink a nother!

Okay guys, it's late but I think I know where you're going with this. Once you've installed the torsion bars crank each bars adjuster about 2 turns then drop the car on the front tires. Before taking the car for alignment you need to set the front ride height of the car by cranking the torsion bar adjusters further to lift the front end. Somewhere in the forums will be what the ride height should be measured from the front frame rail to the ground, I can't remember right now.

Terry

If we set the ride height by measuring the frame rail to the ground, would this not be different if we have changed from 14" stock to 15" wheels? How do you compensate for this change?
Thanks,
C

If we set the ride height by measuring the frame rail to the ground, would this not be different if we have changed from 14" stock to 15" wheels? How do you compensate for this change?
Thanks,
C
Depends on the tire choice. You can go from 14"-15' and buy tires that are the same diameter (lower proflie) and not have any problems. Just for reference I go to the TIre Rack web page and check tire specs to make sure I keep the diameters similar to what I currently have and what is similar in other profiles.

Basically correct. If the the front end is assembled less the TBs, you'll need to remove the UCA bump stop and disconnect the shock. This will put the LCA at max of lower travel. Back the LCA adjusters out completely. Stab the TB in holding the "finger" in the LCA to the top of the adjuster. Re-assemble. This will give you max range on the adjusters. The smaller the TB, the more critical this is.

-
Back