Torsion bar install

-

busboy

Reaction score
I have been reading much on this, I'm changing my /6 ones to .920. I have seen references to "indexing" the bars at install. What does this mean? Is this something I have to do to get the correct ride height? This is a street crusier 72' Swinger not a race car.

you just need to make sure that they go to the correct sides since they are right/left specific. they can go front/rear either way though. i think they mean indexing by how the adjuster sits in the lca once the bar is installed.

when you slide them in just make sure you use alot of grease on both ends & make sure you can get your block for the adjustment bolt into the lower control arm. I usually loosen the lower control arm bolt that goes through the k frame (just makes is a little easier to pivot things) then you can raise & lower the control arm with a floor jack if you are working off the floor on jackstands.

You may find that the lower control arm will not "go down" enough to get the bars in or out easily. You can gain another inch of drop easily by removing the rebound bump stop (thats the egg shaped one which the upper control arm rests on). Other than that, grease the ends up real good and DO NOT under any circumstances use vise-grips, channel-locks, pipe wrenches or anything else that could scratch or mar the surface of the bars.

Dropping the LCA bolt sounds like the ticket. They are in there pretty good right now, I just got finished making the removal tool so I'll take a run at it this week. Thanks for the replys.

Also the factory dipped them and let the paint drip off. If you have not ground them clean you will notice small drip marks on what was the bottom side...It does not matter as they are round, but it looks nicer when they are in right.

Well I got the job done, it was not too bad. Did not have to remove the UCA bumper, but just loosening the LCA bolt allowed me to turn the socket the 1/8" I needed to line up the new bars. The new balloon seals soaked in hot water for 5min , greased the end of the bar, positioned the seal and pulled them on with a pliers, no tears, those things are tough! I am still playing with the ride height, the car is driving great, but I will take it in for a proper alignment in the next couple days. Thanks to all for the input.:thumblef:

-
Back