Torsion bar installation

-

lhearold

Reaction score
OK, here is one for everyone. The FSM for the 69 Dart just says to install the torsion bars. Pretty vague in that it doesn't say how far into the LCA socket to put them. Do you bottom them out in the LCA socket? If you do, the rear hex is forward of the cross member in the rear anchor. If you keep the rear hex under the cross member then the torsion bar front hex is only into the LCA socket the distance of the hex.

Which is right??????

Larry

I`ve always installed them into the LCAs until they bottomed out. I never had one where the rear of the t-bar started coming out of the torsion bar crossmember. If you have to, put them into the LCA far enough to hide the hex and make sure they are far enough into the crossmember to install the retainer clips.

I`ve always installed them into the LCAs until they bottomed out. I never had one where the rear of the t-bar started coming out of the torsion bar crossmember. If you have to, put them into the LCA far enough to hide the hex and make sure they are far enough into the crossmember to install the retainer clips.

Installing the retainer clips isn't a problem. The hex isn't sticking out of the front of the crossmember socket just up into the part of the socket in front of the crossmember. Ma MOPAR could have made the torsion bars about 2 inches longer and they would fit better (bottomed out in the LCA and the rear hex within the crossmember part of the rear socket.

Reason I'm asking this is because I've been chasing a noise in the right front of my Dart for about 2 months now. This is a completely new car basically and it sounds like a loose ball joint but there is nothing loose in the suspension. It has been suggested that my torsion bars are not properly installed and after reading the FSM, there isn't a correct way as long as they ae in the sockets at both ends and the c-clips fit....

Larry

Describe the noice and where about it is coming from. Does it happen more when turning or over bumps? Is the suspension rebuilt? Were Poly bushings used?

Describe the noice and where about it is coming from. Does it happen more when turning or over bumps? Is the suspension rebuilt? Were Poly bushings used?

Everything is poly (New). It has FirmFeel LCA, UCA, K-member, struts, PS box, and sway bar. Car has just undergone a complete resto-mod and has only about 500 miles on it. Have been chasing this noise since day one with no luck. Like I say, it sounds just like a really bad ball joint rattle/knock when you go over a bump. It appears to be related to the up/down movement of the suspension on the right side. There is no noise on turns but go over a bump just right and it knocks. I've checked brake calipers to make sure they aren't bouncing. I have checked and rechecked the ball joints and every other suspension part that I can think of. Nothing seems to be binding and nothing is loose. Alignment was done at about 60 miles and it aligned with no problems. No shake, shimmy, wander, etc. Drives out excellent just that damn noise.....

Larry

You said you checked the calipers. Does it do it with the brakes on? (brake pad rattle)
I know this one's obvious, but the shock bushings ok?
Lug nuts bottomed and washers rattling?

We could tie my ex-wife under there and tell her look, she wouldn't have a clue what she was looking at, but it'd be fun... :)

You said you checked the calipers. Does it do it with the brakes on? (brake pad rattle)
I know this one's obvious, but the shock bushings ok?
Lug nuts bottomed and washers rattling?

We could tie my ex-wife under there and tell her look, she wouldn't have a clue what she was looking at, but it'd be fun... :)

Don't know if it does it with brakes applied or not. Doesn't do it all the time so its hard to know when to try going over a bump with the brakes on. The caliper hold downs are tight though and I can't get any up/down movement of the caliper on the mount by hand. New shocks (and bushings) as part of the resto. tight against rotor hub face. They are regular 60 degree tapered lugs, no washers.

If I could, I've got an ex that I would like to use as a speed bump to find the noise......

Larry

My guess is check the shock bolts on the bottom. They need to be tight to squeeze the sleeve in the lower control arm. If something is loose there it will sound like a ball joint. Also check the wheel bearing pre-load. The race can settle and loosen the adjustment.

-
Back