Torsion Bar Left and Right???

-

tkowalchuk

70 Duster with a 440
Reaction score
Hey im new to this. Does it actually matter what side a torsion bar is installed in Left and Right? Manual says it has a L and R stamped on it. Mine are powdercoated and i dont want to have to clean it off. If it does matter does the L and R have to be facing the rear of the car or front?

Left and right absolutely matters because of the indexing on the hex ends.

Which end goes forward doesn’t matter, but it’s helpful to put the end with the part number on it to the crossmember side, so you (or someone else) can ID the bars later, or check if they’re installed correctly L/R.

Hey im new to this. Does it actually matter what side a torsion bar is installed in Left and Right? Manual says it has a L and R stamped on it. Mine are powdercoated and i dont want to have to clean it off. If it does matter does the L and R have to be facing the rear of the car or front?

Yep, it matters. The odd numbered bar is the left (drivers side) and the even numbered bar is the right (passenger side).

If you're good at searching this forum, you can search and find where I installed mine on the opposite side. Total bone head move.

What is "indexing on the hex ends"?

The hexes on each end of the bar do not line up. Factory bars are indexed 20 degrees, aftermarket bars can vary anywhere from 20* all the way to 0*, depending on their diameter and spring rate. The index controls how the ride height relates to the range of adjustment on the torsion bar adjusting bolts.

Either way, the index means you can't swap the bars from side to side.

Good to know. Thank you both for the responses i learnt something new today now! Ill check them out next time i work on the car.

-
Back