Torsion bar - odd markings

-

Sparky1

Reaction score
Hello,
OK - I know this question has been asked many times, already - but, here goes. I am replacing a /6 with a 340 and also replacing the torsion bars. I pulled the old ones out yesterday and I am really confused about the markings on them.
The right side had 890R with the number "282" under it and the other end has 890R with the letters UTV.
The left side had 890R with the number "272" under it and the other end was same with the 890R and the letters UTV.
I am curious as to these odd markings as I don't recall that being discussed and they are both marked with 890R. What I do recall is that a 890 marking does not mean .890 diameter.
Anyway, I want either .890 or .920 diameter bars. What markings on the bars should I look for? I see that Firm Feel has bars - my 72 Duster is for the street only.
Thanks for any help.

This should help a little.

t-Bars.jpg

This should help a little.
Thanks 71DartGuy - I printed that out already however, it really doesn't answer my burning question about those odd markings. ;-)
Are those part numbers Mopar numbers? I asked my local dealer here and they can't get the bars for my 72 Duster. Have you or anybody else tried Firmfeel or other vendors?

I have not tried firm feel. I bought some 340 bars to replace my /6 bars locally. Thats kind of strange that they both had 890R on them. It must have a passenger side t-bar on the drivers side and handled a little weird. Shopping for new should be easy as most vendors have them listed by diameter. Mancini bars carry the same part numbers as above, just a different prefix.

Ok, I just went out to look at the bars i took off of my car. These bars are considered to be "890" bars, and they measure 0.87" in diameter because my /6 came with A/C. Heres what the #'s look like
UDU UDX One end
891L 890L

891L 890R Opposite end
111 151

I have no idea what these other markings mean!!

Ok, I just went out to look at the bars i took off of my car. These bars are considered to be "890" bars, and they measure 0.87" in diameter because my /6 came with A/C. Heres what the #'s look like
UDU UDX One end
891L 890L

891L 890R Opposite end
111 151

I have no idea what these other markings mean!!
Yea - I know and the 282/272 numbers on mine is really confusing.
Unless.... the previous owner replaced one in for some unknown reason. But, they both looked like they were the orginals. Very odd.
Are you going to use those bars...?

Nope. Those are the ones I took off a couple months ago. If I had it to do over, I would definitely find some "real" 890 bars, ie, ones that are actually 0.890" in diameter. The ones i put on just didnt stiffen it up enough for my taste.

Nope. Those are the ones I took off a couple months ago. If I had it to do over, I would definitely find some "real" 890 bars, ie, ones that are actually 0.890" in diameter. The ones i put on just didnt stiffen it up enough for my taste.
Ah...so, if you took out the .870 diameter and would have referred the .890 diameter - what did you put in then? .. or are you looking to replace those with real .890 bars?
I think my 72 Duster with the 340 should also have the real .890 or .092 bars - so, we'll keep hunting :)
Thanks

Ok, I think I screwed up, i took out .850 diameter bars. I dont see them on any of the charts floating around on the internet but thats what I had. They supposedly came on 318's and /6's with A/C. I put on "340" bars that measure .870". Like i said, I would go with the .890's if I had it to do over. Sorry for the mistake, those #'s get confusing!

-
Back