Torsion bar question for 440 A body

-
Woods74 these torsion bars to me are a new concept! I'm not fearing the higher values just want to end up with a good street 440 Duster. Shocks I'll use a good Bilstien or FOX or some equivalent. Hmm whats offset bushings?

Woods74 these torsion bars to me are a new concept! I'm not fearing the higher values just want to end up with a good street 440 Duster. Shocks I'll use a good Bilstien or FOX or some equivalent. Hmm whats offset bushings?

They provide modern alignment specs for radials... Read that link.. All will be answered.. They really help.

I have 1.00 bars and a 360; they aren't really that firm, I'm going for more soon... You'll be completely fine and at home with PST 1.03 and a big block. Plus you get a good deal on them! If you don't like them, it ain't like you can't swap them out.

The other part of the equation is to check out new rear leafs at some point as well, spring rates go hand in hand to create a package that works together..

Cool Woods thanks! I wanna buy the bars 1 time. Gonna read more about the PST 1.03.

Cool Woods thanks! I wanna buy the bars 1 time. Gonna read more about the PST 1.03.

No problem! If you have any questions, PM 72blunblu, TrailBeast or Jim Lusk. Real sharp cats who have this suspension thing down to a science. They will help you nail down hard numbers.

If you're just looking for a weekend cruiser and not terribly focused on road handling you don't need to go crazy with the suspension modification. For example, if you're sticking with 15" rims and BFG T/A's or similar then there's no need to go all in with the torsion bars, since you won't have the grip.

I'd say the PST 1.03" bars would be a good choice. I ran Just Suspension 1" bars on my Duster and found the ride to be pretty soft. Better than stock, but pretty soft. And that was with a 318 and no A/C to add weight. With the 1.03" bars the Bilstein's would be fine, the Fox's are awesome for large torsion bars but I would say below a 1.06" bar you don't have to spend the coin on the Fox's, the Bilsteins are just fine. Remember, the reason the factory torsion bars were so soft was because of the crappy bias ply tires that were available and shock technology that was far behind what is possible today. Good shocks make all the difference, and even the hockey puck BFG T/A's are better than the stock bias ply's were.

The 7103 Moog bushings will let you dial in more positive caster, which will help the road manners quite a bit. With power steering you can dial in as much positive caster as you can get, there's really no downside in the range that's available with the offset bushings. The alignment is important, you'll want something in the range of -.25 to -.5 degree's of camber, +3 to +5 degrees caster ( as much as you can get really, but you probably won't get more than +5 even with the offset bushings), and about 1/16" of toe in. Remember, factory alignment specs were for bias ply's, not radials, and are 180* from what you want with radials.

Sway bars will help too. Again, if you're planning 15" rims and BFG T/A's or similar you can run stock sized sway bars if you already have them or can find them cheap. The limiting factor will end up being your tires, but with that set up the car should still ride pretty nice and will still handle MUCH better than stock. And that will be a good thing with a 440 up front!

Great info 72bluNblu! I'm not sure yet of a tire yet. Wanting to use my 8 1/4 rear end so I'm sure I have to go easy on the hooking up of the tires!

Great info 72bluNblu! I'm not sure yet of a tire yet. Wanting to use my 8 1/4 rear end so I'm sure I have to go easy on the hooking up of the tires!

I only mention the tires because there isn't much available in 15" anymore, most of the choices in sizes relevant to these cars are fairly hard compared to more modern compounds and tread designs. If you go with larger diameter rims, like 17" or 18", you can get softer tire compounds. That means more cornering force can be applied through the tires to the suspension, and that means larger torsion bars and sway bars to control the additional forces.

But since you said the car would be more of a cruiser I just figured you'd probably stick with the 15" rims. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone wants a autoX monster. ;)

The 8.25's are stronger than most people think. With a 440 you might be testing that theory but if it's still a fairly mild engine it shouldn't be a big problem with street tires. If your plan is to take it to the drag strip every weekend though you'd want to do something different.

Yep 15 inch tires are my plan... I grew up in the era of Cragar SS's and Centerlines so I'll get the stickiest tire I can in a 15". Motor should be mild I'll shoot out details as I get father along.

Gee willikers that sounds swell, but here's a better idea.There's no shortage of FABO
members in your vicinity, so why not find one who will meet you 4 some burgers and take
you for a spin with the prospective bars/equip., surely somebody down there is running
the 1.03's.

Gee willikers that sounds swell, but here's a better idea.There's no shortage of FABO
members in your vicinity, so why not find one who will meet you 4 some burgers and take
you for a spin with the prospective bars/equip., surely somebody down there is running
the 1.03's.

Taking a ride in a car that's set up similarly to how you want your car set up is never a bad idea. But I'm guessing you think the OP will change is mind if he rides in a big block A-body with 1.03" bars?

So, I have to ask, have YOU ridden in a big block A-body with 1.03" bars and decent shocks?

I have yet to see anyone go to 1.03" PST bars and change them out for something smaller because the bars were too stiff, and that includes a bunch of people with small block cars.

With a 440 up front, 1.03" bars and Bilsteins the OP's car won't ride any stiffer than your Corolla.

Taking a ride in a car that's set up similarly to how you want your car set up is never a bad idea. But I'm guessing you think the OP will change is mind if he rides in a big block A-body with 1.03" bars?

With a 440 up front, 1.03" bars and Bilsteins the OP's car won't ride any stiffer than your Corolla.

Lol, not at all, what I am is certain it will help the OP make up his mind
without all the guessing and wonder whats. I like to do things right and once myself
if possible, a test drive of the actual combo will help the OP do just that, then he
can decide which of the three bears T-bars he'd like to live with.
FWIW, when my 8yr. old back injury gifted me w/a minor relapse not long
ago,even the 'rolla was less than comfy to be polite, the Omni w/GLH coils and 50's
would've been out of the question over the speed bumps comically referred to as
road repairs around here.

-
Back