Torsion Bar question

-

GT_My_way

Reaction score
I am in the process of pulling out the slant six and dropping a 340 in my 67 dart. I bought a 68 Barracuda front end with the 10" brakes, k frame , control arms, spindels, and torsion bar. I have heard two differient stories some say you must change the torsion bars to handle the weight of the eight cylinder. some say leave in the stock slant six and it will lower the front end. but they appear to be smaller in diam. What versions have you all ran across or heard Thank YOU

The bigger bars will handle better. the smaller bars will transfer the weight to the rear tires easier and hook better. Si if its a street car the big bars are best.If your going to be doing alot of racing the small bars are the way to go.

I use the small block bars in my cars w/a good set of shocks. The shocks you choose should reflect what you plan on doing with the car. I'm a drag racer so I've got 90/10 drag shocks on mine. I'm not a big believer in the 6 cly. bars as I have broken the ends off of several of them. As far as lowering the car, that is easily accomplished by the torsion bar adjusting bolts - set it for whatever ride height you like.

you broke the ends off the bars? never seen that happen unless they were severly rusted or had stress risers in them.

anyways, like adam said, choose a bar for your application. i always ran /6 bars in mine. but i stepped up to big bars in my handleing car. never had problems with either one. here is the link to a chart i put together for reference and sugeested uses. http://www.bigblockdart.com/tech/torsion.shtml

also, as stated, the shocks will make a difference to---so choose accodingly. also, shocks are one of those deals where you do get what you pay for, so if you can, get the best shock you can afford. QA1's are nice for a beginner level aluminum bodied shock---usually about $250-300/pair. edelebrock i hear makes the for darts to, i am going to look into a set for the handleing car. KYB's are a nice all around affordable shock and are just fine for most people, but arent really a drag race shock. pick your price and your poison, its all up to you.

--chad

I don't know what part of the country your from, but here in the NYC area what passes for streets are similar to pre-running the Baja. I have .920's in my small block car. It sits at a decent ride height, maybe a little high, but then again they haven't been driven enough to settle. The ride is nice and firm. I'm also using KYB gas shock all around and polygraphite bushings. Best money I spent on the car so far. It rides better than some new cars!

cuda1.jpg

John how many cans of paint does it take to do an entire car ? :mrgreen:

AdamR said:
John how many cans of paint does it take to do an entire car ? :mrgreen:

[-X It took 2 quarts of black base coat and a few hours of mis-spent enthuisiasm annoying the neighbors while I learned to use a paint gun in my yard......

I know. It looks like ****..... :silent:

Once it runs again it's getting a fresh coat of gray primer. THEN I'll let you know how many cans.... :tongue:

I think it was 12 cans of krylon to do my 72 charger.
I didn't want to take it out in multi color.
Man I was blowing that stuff out of my nose for a week.

I know someone that painted there truck with a brush and roller.

well, its nice to see im not the only one that has used krylon for a car :salut: . i had it on my daily driver omni for 8 years. you remember that car norm, you saw me pulling in your driveway a mile a way :mrgreen:

--chad

If it's a street car and you put in a Big Block, you really don't want to run the 6cyl bars.
Talk about ill handeling.

-
Back