torsion bar question

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
ok, i know that you cant swap a k-member from a 72 to a 74 but can i use the small block torsion bars from the 72 dart in my 74 duster? Ive done some research and i cant seem to find alot so i thought id ask. thanks

american muscle tools makes a special tool to pull out the torsion bars but first you need to get all tension off the bar then remove the little snap ring and then you pull the bar out towards the rear of the car the little rubber boots will hold you up but if they are in good shape you may want to be careful not to damage them the special puller bolts around the bar so as not to damage it then you can hit the puller rearward to push the bar out i havent used one yet so i dont know how well they work i have always just wrapped a shop towel around the t bar and lightly clamped vise grips around the towel and hit the vise grips backward never had one gall the t bar yet but i will probably buy the tool for next time hopefully im not forgetting anything but if i am im sure someone will correct me. Justin

ok, i know that you cant swap a k-member from a 72 to a 74 but can i use the small block torsion bars from the 72 dart in my 74 duster? Ive done some research and i cant seem to find alot so i thought id ask. thanks

You CAN swap torsion bars and/or the k-member. I have a 73 K-member in my 68 Barracuda. Upper and lower control arms are can be swapped to but you have to match 73+ upper arms with 73+ spindles because of the larger ball joint.

Torsion bars are the same for all years of A-bodies. 66 and older k-members do not swap with 67 and up k-members.

You CAN swap torsion bars and/or the k-member. I have a 73 K-member in my 68 Barracuda. Upper and lower control arms are can be swapped to but you have to match 73+ upper arms with 73+ spindles because of the larger ball joint.

Torsion bars are the same for all years of A-bodies. 66 and older k-members do not swap with 67 and up k-members.

i must of got the years mixed up...thanks for the info, ill see what i can do

Just a word of advise. When you are taking all of the pressure off of the t bar, just backing the adjustment screw out usually will not do the trick. Unbolt the shock and lower ball joint from the lower control arm and sway bar if it has one. This will let the lower arm swing with no pressure on the t bar. Good luck.

-
Back