Torsion Bar Questions

-

Stepper

Reaction score
I need some schooling on torsion bars.

I have a 69 dart gt. Originally a 273, and the PO put a 318 in it.
I have no idea if the torsion bars were ever changed.

My question regards my front end being uneven.
The driver's side sits lower than the passenger side. I've made sure the car is on even ground...tires are equally inflated etc.

So....does this mean I need new torsion bars, i.e. they've lost their support ability?
Do I possibly need to "tighten" them up?

I have no idea about adjusting them...can they be adjusted or do they just get replaced as they wear out.

Are there any specific tools I need in order to tighten or replace them.

I apologize if these are stupid questions. I'm just not familiar with maintaining or working with torsion bars.

Thanks.

You can adjust them. On the underside of the lower control arm there is a bolt, 11/16 if i remember correct. Soak it in WD-40 or oil for a few days before you touch it. Lift your car by the k frame so the suspension sags, then spin the bolt clockwise to raise your ride hight. Drive the car around the block to settle the suspension and re measure.

Check the rear suspension at the same time, a broken leaf or worn bushings on the driver side could cause it to drop, thereby raising the front passenger side. Don't know where you are located, but if rust is an issue sometimes the rear springs can end up in the trunk...
C

Ditto to the above comments. Torsion bars seldom wear out, but remember to get the car aligned if you adjust them.

Ok. So they're simply adjusted by a bolt....much easier than I thought. Thanks for all of the replies. Each one is very helpful. The rear springs are "fine." At least they're not overly rusted and the mounts appear fine. They do have cheater springs integrated into them by the PO. So, there may be some rear end influence on the front.

I'll give the bolt adjustment a try first. Thanks again y'all.

There is actually a spec for adjusting them. Grab a Chiltons or Haynes Manual and it will have the numbers but it is basically a measurement from the lower control arm pivot to the ground minus a measurement from the lower control arm out at the wheel. Adjust to this numbner will get you to the factory ride height.

I was wondering the same thing about the Torsion bars. You should look and make sure your upper A arm brackets are still solid. Because my 72 dart has that drivers side lean to it, and one side of the upper A arm bracket is broke off, but before I worry about where the Torsion bars are at I need to get that A arm bracket welded back in solid place.

So take a look at that just in case. But thanks for the answers in this thread as I was looking for the same answers

i've got my passenger side sitting lower than drivers, went out to adjust it today. my manual says to make the adjustment with wheels on the ground. also, after changing height, the final adjustment needs to be in the up direction. any truth to that?

Per old Mopar manual... Measure from bottom of lower ball joint to (level) floor. Measure from lower bottom of control arm, at k frame, then equal. You have to bounce it all over to settle it. And, sitting here, in the house, with beer, I ain't going to the shop for the book right now. Oh, seem to remember that difference from bottom to bottom, on same side, should not be more than 1 1/8". Pm me to remind me in am, and I will check manuals.

-
Back