Torsion Bars

-

Carpainter

Reaction score
I just bought a 1974 Duster that had been a race car converted back to street use. My question is: the front end is really low and I'm wondering if the torsion bars were let down. I don't see any adjustment key or bolt in the bar anywhere. Could someone describe where this adjustment would be located?

there should be a 3/4 head bolt sticking out from between the two "halves" of the lower control arm...

Find the bolts as moparkid805 said. Just remember to take the weight off the suspension (jack the car up) when making adjustments. Park on a flat surface and once you`ve cranked up the bolts (a few rotations at a time), let the car down, jostle the suspension some and then take a measurement on both sides from the lower control arm to the ground. Even them up and away you go.

your car could have 6 cyl. bars. A lot of race cars used them for more lift on take off.

if your car was a prior drag car someone else mentioned it could have /6 bars. But the adjustment is on the lower control arm on the underside of it

Attachments

• LOWER.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 185
Okay, like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks guys, I'll check it out tonight after school.

as for the angle they are perpendicular to the control arm

hard to miss the 3/4 bolt sticking out from the middle of the arm lol....

be aware if your are weak they could have just kept adjusting them so the head could be below flush...

My car was a drag car as well when I got it. Handling was real bad, turn to left car felt reasonably stable, turn to right, and nothing but mush. Long story short, after a thousand miles of driving, I measured both torsion bars and discovered drivers side was a six cylinder bar, and right side was a stiffer V8 bar.

I replaced them with a set of Firm Feel 0.940” bars. Also removed the four leaf rear SS springs with crappy bushings, replaced with six leaf stock ride height that a Formula S Cuda would have come with.

Also all new bushings installed up front, with a Addco anti sway bar, and sub-frame connectors.

Car is nice and stable now.

This spring’s project is installing a rebuilt series II Steer & Gear power steering gear, and factory stile three point mounting of Addco bar. Addco’s angle iron one bolt mount is crap, works loose, allows bar to wallow.

Best of luck to you if your adjusting bolt was like mine and had not moved for 43 years! It took a 3 foot cheater bar to break it loose after a good soaking of PB blaster.

Best of luck to you if your adjusting bolt was like mine and had not moved for 43 years! It took a 3 foot cheater bar to break it loose after a good soaking of PB blaster.
Ha, yeah that's what I'm afraid of....lol Well I guess all I can hope for is that the bolt came loose if they lowered the front end on it ya know? Otherwise, I'm sure I'll be cussing it. Good thing is, I can take it to school and put it on the lift this weekend so at least I'm not rolling around on the floor.

Thanks for all the input guys it's been a big help.

Okay, I suspect that the torsion bars that are in the car are for a 6 cyl engine. Could someone post the correct procedure for removing and installing new torsion bars? Pictures would be a huge help.
What vendor and bars (size also) would you guys recommend? Ths will be a street and strip car with a moderatey built 360 small block.

-
Back