Torsion bars

-

Duster2022!

Reaction score
I am looking to do the 440 swap int my Demon.
I am just gathering items right now.
What size torsion bars are needed for this install?

I am looking to do the 440 swap int my Demon.
I am just gathering items right now.
What size torsion bars are needed for this install?
New bars are not "needed", but I would go at least to 1.03. The OE bars are likely getting tired and the larger bars will help with the extra weight.

What are your plans for the car? What you would want for drag racing, street cruising and AutoX are very different…

Hi already got my answer from an earlier reply 1.03 torsion bar size is all I need.

Lol. I mean yeah, that's a good all-around size.

But if you're gonna spend more time at the strip than on the street, they're too big. And if you're going to spend any significant amount of time doing autoX, they'll be too small. Heck, even for an aggressively set up street handling car they're too small. I run 1.12's on the street with a small block up front on my Duster, and I'd go bigger before I went smaller.

It really depends on how you plan on using the car, which is why I asked. But hey, you got your answer already, so good luck.

We've been running factory big block bars (.890") with factory big block sway bar on my younger son's 440/4sp Dart convertible. On the street it is fine. It would not be fine to autocross. We even ran factory 340 torsion bars and sway bar on one big block project, an all-iron 383 with AC, auto, and power steering. It wasn't bad on the street, but never ran it hard. My older son's autocross Barracuda ran .990" torsion bars with a factory big block sway bar. We eventually upgraded to a 1.25" front sway bar, .75 rear bar, and 1.14" torsion bars.

Like 72 said, it all depends on how you will use the car.

-
Back