Total timing?

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hi guys what is the norm for total timing 36 degrees total at 3 grand or 2500.I am thinking about takeing my electronic dizzy for my 360 to a shop and have them put it on a dizzy machine and set it up.Not to sure I want tyo pull this apart and weld the slots and just guess at what I end up with.

I think when I had my dist redone it was set for 16 initial and 34 degree's total all in by 2600. I'm not sure how much altitude comes into play but we're at 3600. ft. This was on a 10 : 1 340. It ran great with noticable ping any where through the revs.

Im kinda messing with a simailar thing right now, I picked up a couple different bushings for the MSD dizzy, I was running 16* initial and 34*Total. I was told for small Blk Mopar 34* is the sweet spot. The bushing I orderd from 4secflat alows me to have a initial of 20* and a total of 34*. Forget his name but thats what he told me. Dhttp://www.4secondsflat.com/MSD Distributor Tuning.htm

Well I have called and called sround here to see if anyone can do this but no go.

The newer MP distributors have adjustable mechanical advance so you don't have to weld the slots up which is a trial and error process and requires a distributor machine to spin it up. On a small block you pretty much need to pull the MP distributor out to adjust it though.

How do one adjust it,is it simple,I mean if you still have to pull the plate up to get to the springs and weights thsts still a chore.

With the MP unit you have to look down at the plates and loosen 2 screws which allow the plates to slide (i haven't looked at one for a few years). IIRC you slide them closer for less advance. It is trial and error unlike the MSD which uses offset bushings. Changing the springs is a one time change.

The MP distributor adjustement does not have to be trial and error. The advance mechanism is made by Mallory and Mallory Distributor Tuning Kit #29014 (available form Summit or Jegs) works on the MP distributor, it's also part numbered under a MP number in the latest catalogs.

The kit has spacers in 2 degree increments. Pick the spacer in the amount of advance you want, loosen the lock screws, insert the spacer, move the stop against the spacer and lock down the screws.

The kit also comes with a selection of springs. On the instruction sheet charts look at the amount of timing you just set in the advance and go across to the rpm you want it in at and install the corrosponding springs for that combo. There will be a couple of choices on the springs based on whether you want a fairly linear curve or a two step curve.

Certainly not as convenient as the under the rotor bushings of the MSD but a much finer range of adjustments is available.

Well I just drop of my dizzy to the guy who built my bottom end,told him i want a total of 36 all in at 2500 he sayssss hey I know what you want no problim./

Hi guys what is the norm for total timing 36 degrees total at 3 grand or 2500.I am thinking about takeing my electronic dizzy for my 360 to a shop and have them put it on a dizzy machine and set it up.Not to sure I want tyo pull this apart and weld the slots and just guess at what I end up with.

with a stock distributor it would be 3-4000 rpm or what ever rpm the weights fully swing/extend outward.

In a modified street/perf curve situation you would wanna consider the the average cruise rpm and dynamic comp to determine the amount/rate of advance, which means on the motor 1st.. then off to the distributor machine.

Race is usually locked out after start up.

So you have determined that 36* is what it likes best full advance, cool.
Now you have to find out how much initial timing it will still start with 'fully warmed up' which is 2* retarded from starter kick back 'or when the starter can't turn the motor over anymore, that is the initial.

examlpe-my car leaves & cruises at/above 2200 rpm on an average, so I set my full advance to 2200 rpm. It kicks back at 26*, so I set the initial to 24*.
It runs best 32*=24* initial with 32* total/all in by 2200 rpm.

It was starting well with 18 degrees,went more but seamed to be lazy on the bottom end also a slight kick back.I also ask him to install a light spring instead of haveing that heavey one in there,this should give me a faster curve right.

The MP distributor adjustement does not have to be trial and error. The advance mechanism is made by Mallory and Mallory Distributor Tuning Kit #29014 (available form Summit or Jegs) works on the MP distributor, it's also part numbered under a MP number in the latest catalogs.

The kit has spacers in 2 degree increments. Pick the spacer in the amount of advance you want, loosen the lock screws, insert the spacer, move the stop against the spacer and lock down the screws.

The kit also comes with a selection of springs. On the instruction sheet charts look at the amount of timing you just set in the advance and go across to the rpm you want it in at and install the corrosponding springs for that combo. There will be a couple of choices on the springs based on whether you want a fairly linear curve or a two step curve.

Certainly not as convenient as the under the rotor bushings of the MSD but a much finer range of adjustments is available.

I wish I had known about that kit when I set my distributor up but it wasn't a huge deal. Perhaps I got lucky and got the timing right on the 2nd try.

It was starting well with 18 degrees,went more but seamed to be lazy on the bottom end also a slight kick back.I also ask him to install a light spring instead of haveing that heavey one in there,this should give me a faster curve right.

lazy? that is not the time to test drive when your total is gonna jump well beyond 40*!! of corse it's gonna feel lazy...

you need to limit the mechanical advance in the distributor if you wanna run 18+*'s of initial.

Again, find out how much initial it will start with [2* retarded from where it won't start] and report this to the distributor guy, he'll go from there..:read2:

lazy? that is not the time to test drive when your total is gonna jump well beyond 40*!! of corse it's gonna feel lazy...

you need to limit the mechanical advance in the distributor if you wanna run 18+*'s of initial.

Again, find out how much initial it will start with [2* retarded from where it won't start] and report this to the distributor guy, he'll go from there..:read2:

Thanks for the help,I got what you are saying now.It seams to like 20 int at idel anymore it barely kicks back.havent heard back about my outher dizzy from the shop yet,This timeing light with the advance adjustment is way cool,cant beleive I waited this long to get one.no more timeing tape for me.

-
Back