Towbar/Dolley for moving car around

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Have any of you built a dolley to move a car around the shop? Looking for some suggestions.

My 74 needs to be mobile for the various stages of the resto-mod (and for when I roll it into the paint booth) I figured I could install a trailer hitch onto the back of my Suzuki Quadzilla and use that to tow the shell around the shop. With parts from a junk boat trailer to make the dollies for the front and rear of the car. Sound feasible? I know I'll need to install a 3rd wheel on the tongue to keep the car from flipping my Zuki over (that monster wants to do wheelies in 2nd gear) Any suggestions on dimensions for materials (dolley to frame mounts, etc) to carry the weight of a shell with k-frame and rear axle (eventually just the shell)

I use a furniture dolly the small one there good for 1000 pounds and the tires fit in them nice and you can get them for around 20.00 bucks at harbor freight there good for in the shop but bad outside.they also sell wheel dollies but there around 60.00 bucks.i'll stick with my wooden ones.......Hope this helps .......Artie

I got the wooden ones under the rear, but the front is too heavy if you got a motor, and real easy to tear up a caster, so I just use the floor jack on the front.

I'm considering spending the extra to get quality ones for the front.

I may have misspoke when I said dolley, what I have in my mind is a sort of 4-legged "platform" (basically, turn my '74 into a trailer that is towed behind my ATV).

My boss and I have an agreement, I can use the shop/business after hours to do my own projects but they have to be out of the shop by the time it opens. Which means I'll have to pull my '74 out of the shop and into the paint booth beside it (separate bay from the main garage), or into my own 1-car garage which is about 200' away from the shop.

Pretty much, what I have in mind is kind of like a Rotisserie mounted on Boat Trailer Tires/axles, that will attach to a ball on the back of my Suzuki to make it mobile.

I just made a simple cart kinda like what you're describing. Using it for a Ram Quad Cab. Realize the trk cab isn't as heavy a car shell but I'm sure you could do something similar, but build it more heavy duty to hold the body.
It's basically a 'table' w/ 8" casters @ the corners. A couple holes in the top to run two bolts into the front body mnts to keep it on the cart, when moving it around. Maybe you might have to make some kind of fixtures for your mnt points to secure the body to the cart and use larger casters.

3X3 angle and 6" structural channel for the legs. Use the other for when K member is removed but rear end is still in, rolling on rear tires.

Attachments

• P1235452 (640x480).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 74
  • P1235453 (640x480).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 82
  • PA175226 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 80
-
Back