Tq converter questions

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
I know how a reverse manual valve body works and everything just for starters, and id like to convert to a 4 speed, but i was wondering how does a tq converter work? the fluid has to build up pressure at the right rpm range(tells the stall) i'm presuming.

i know if you have a big 'clumpy' cam u need a higher stall, for my car i was thinking a 1500 stall if i stay auto. and a street cam. This car will be about 98% street 2% strip if that. im not planning on tubing it its got 235/60 r14's on the rear but i dont remember how to read that, can someone explain?

hell i'm still deciding what motor to build 360, 318 is what it has but i was thinking 400 hp??? or close

id like to smash the gas (w/o brake on) and for the tires to burn up nice and good :evil2:

I would go 360, unless you have a 318 already.

This may explain some about convertors. I could be wrong, I was under the impression stock 318 were about 1800 stall. With a mild build-up I went 2500. Hopefully some other members can add more info on this topic to you :salut:

PS. 2% track time....and like to do burn outs (perhaps front brake locks will help) melt your tires away??

http://www.chevelles.com/archive/files/stall_no.html

ya now the car has a 318, ps, unfortunatly i cant seem to find a ps line for my car, the components are wrong for the year of car i dont know what they are from. my friend sugeted a line lock is what i should install(only locks front brakes) i mean i have all new brakes why wear em down quickly.

Very Basically the torque converter acts like a slipping clutch till you get close to the "stall speed" then it locks up like a clutch. That's the best one liner I can give ya. I'm sure you see more on this.

-
Back