TQ-Converter Stall, Choose the correct stall

-

marksmopar1

Reaction score
I am looking around and I see nothing in the Tech "How to Articles" on "Choosing the right stall speed" What are some ideas, hints, tips, personal experiances in choosing a stall or in using a certain stall with a particular combination. I have Googled it and yes items are there but I would like to see how it relates to our MOPARs in real tested and used situations by FABO users
Engine size, mods, gears. What worked what didnt. Brand of TQ converter.
If someone has a good article on this maybe it could be inserted into the How to articles?

:burnout:

IMHO. the cam and carb set up tells you what stall converter. i have seen a low stall convter on a HP engine for street driving. but at the track will not be the best. as i say a lot you cant go wrong doing like chrysler did it. they set the standard.

I use a Turbo Action 17805ST 10" Street converter, advertised stall 3500 rpm. I like it very much, i can cruise the city without any problem, can drive the highway for two hours without any problem, if i put down the pedal engine picks up rpm very fast and it´s burning the street tires at will......If i had known before that it´s got perfect street manners i´d chosen the next looser one for even better Track performance. I will replace the 727 in my car with a 904, for this one i will get a custom build converter from a reputable company. If you buy a quality product, then no need to worry about bad behaviour on the street is my experience.

Michael

Yes we all can make a call, But I am interested in hear about the real world and who is using what. What works or doesnt and like or dislike.
Lots of opinions for sure all good :) Curious on this as it seems to be one of those topics (like carbs) bigger isnt always better of is it?
Bigger the better the tighter the sweater :)

Choosing the right stall speed for what? Street driving? Highway driving? Strip driving? Combination street/strip? Stock motor or hot motor? I'm not beating on ya man. It's just a very open ended question that is going to get a ton of different answers that may or may not help you choose yours. It may actually make it more confusing. Yes anyone can make a call to the converter company, but there's a reason why people do. These people are experts on converters and they know what works with what combinations and know what stall you should have for your intended use.

With that being said, I use an 8" that stalls right at 5500 (have 4.10 gears). Dynamic built it for my combo and they hit the stall dead nuts on. It runs good on the street and track. I wouldn't recommend it for strictly a street car, but for something that hits the track I would. That or a 9.5" or 9" 4000 stall would work well for both. I had a 10" hughes 3000 stall before and I just didn't like the lower stall for my setup. I sold it and that guy who bought it probably loves the heck out of it, but I didn't. With the new converter, even with the 325 drag radials, it's a tire fryer for sure and I love its manners. That's my 2 cents of experience with converters.

Ok...got ya on the use of the car...but IM just asking...what ya using and the combo.
Curious as to what works and what doesn't in the opinion of FABO people :)
All aside, your second part of your reply is exactly what I seek .... No calls to anyone just run what ya brung.....what did ya brung? LOL

Bought a custom Dynamic(Frank Lupo) 8" for my bracket race 73 Dart Sport 340 many years ago. Best investment I've ever made for my car!

-
Back