Trailer maintenance

-

onehellofadart

Reaction score
I bought my trailer brand new less than a year ago.
How often do you guys check your trailer axel and wheel bearings?
Someone told me that since my open trailer sat out in the snow
this winter my bearings could be shot. I was planning on doing
maintenance next spring, but now I'm a little concerned.

I wouldnt think it would be any different than a boat trailor sitting out all winter just pack the bearings again and go with it

OUTLAW said:
I wouldnt think it would be any different than a boat trailor sitting out all winter just pack the bearings again and go with it
I didn't even do that this year. I just hooked it up and made sure everything worked and checked tire pressure and went.
Last year I went through it. Repacked wheel bearings, replaced the master cylinder, bled the brakes.....
Being that it was a new trailer last year, I would pull the wheels and repack the bearings and make sure the adjustment is right on them.

For what it's worth, I use Marine axel grease. I figure if it holds up better to salt water, then it's good enough for my trailer bearings.

I just pack my bearings 1 time in the spring and then about middle of the summer and never had any problems with any of my trailers.

will be packing them in the next week or so be leaving for kansas city ffrom michigan and thats a 980 run for me and never once have i had a bearing problem but i do keep a spare pair of bearings,races and seals just in case.

bill

-
Back