Train under the Christmas tree

-
A simple solution is to run an additional power tap to the other side of your circle of track where train slows down. And run these back to transformer. This will alleviate the voltage drop on the part of the loop farthest from the transformer hookup. I had to run dual power taps on my HO slot car 4 lane track i got a voltage drop on a 35 foot racecourse, and put additional power taps at the 17 foot mark.

Plus i believe lionel also recomends the additional power taps over a certain footage of track.

Hope this helps

Polar express, any nice features in it? Electric synchronized sound ? Want to buy one used for around the tree.

A simple solution is to run an additional power tap to the other side of your circle of track where train slows down. And run these back to transformer. This will alleviate the voltage drop on the part of the loop farthest from the transformer hookup. I had to run dual power taps on my HO slot car 4 lane track i got a voltage drop on a 35 foot racecourse, and put additional power taps at the 17 foot mark.

Plus i believe lionel also recomends the additional power taps over a certain footage of track.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice, I did already know about the need for additional power taps, i was just very surprised that Fast Track had such a dramatic drop over such a short distance.. My cirlce of track is not very big.. But I shall run an additional tap...

Thanks again

Polar express, any nice features in it? Electric synchronized sound ? Want to buy one used for around the tree.

I have an older Polar Express that only had a whistle and bell. I added a sound card in the tender with 'crew talk' and simulated steam sounds.
The add on passenger car has Tom Hanks voice saying, " All aboard, this is the Polar Express."
Thats why I use the CW-80 transformer as it has a bell and whistle button to activate these features.

I am planning on a 10'X32' layout in the basement.

I have an older Polar Express that only had a whistle and bell. I added a sound card in the tender with 'crew talk' and simulated steam sounds.
The add on passenger car has Tom Hanks voice saying, " All aboard, this is the Polar Express."
Thats why I use the CW-80 transformer as it has a bell and whistle button to activate these features.

I am planning on a 10'X32' layout in the basement.

Sounds sweet.. be sure to post pics when you get it done

Thanks Speed for this post. And thank you to all who have responded. It brought back soooo many memories.
My parents bought me a Lionel set one year. I can't remember anything that stands out about it. It lasted a few years and then it was gone. I don't remember why.

I grew up one block away from a main line track with a side track. There was a grain mill for the dairies that were still in operation in my town and the surrounding area. This was Norwalk CA in the late 1950s and mid 1960s before real estate development took away the dairies and the orange groves of nearby Orange County.

Life along the tracks was very interesting to a young boy. I got to watch the train switching operations of the brakemen. The signal lanterns at night. A tour of a caboose and an engine by a friendly brakeman. Meeting Hoboes in their camp (being scolded by my mother because she didn't want me to be kidnapped). Watching and following the track gangs as they replaced worn track. Climbing on, over, and through the boxcars that were left on the siding. Standing 5 feet from the track as one of the express trains came barreling through which resulted in a lot of horn blasts and angry shouting by the engineer. Feeling the force of the air front created by the moving train engine.
Seeing and hearing the different engines was always interesting. Just hearing the horn and the pitch of the engine would tell me if I needed to grab my bike and pedal to catch a view of an engine that I hadn't seen or heard before. The Santa Fe Super Chief was my favorite. Occaisionally a steamer would make the Los Angeles to San Diego run using this track (they usually went through Fullerton) and I remember seeing the light from the boilers being cast down on the tracks.
We had a small depot in the old part of town. It was no longer in regular use by the time I was allowed to roam the tracks.

The grain mill, the siding, and the depot are long gone now but not the memories.

Thanks guys.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

"Nah, kid, you'll put your eye out!"

Thanks Speed for this post. And thank you to all who have responded. It brought back soooo many memories.
My parents bought me a Lionel set one year. I can't remember anything that stands out about it. It lasted a few years and then it was gone. I don't remember why.

I grew up one block away from a main line track with a side track. There was a grain mill for the dairies that were still in operation in my town and the surrounding area. This was Norwalk CA in the late 1950s and mid 1960s before real estate development took away the dairies and the orange groves of nearby Orange County.

Life along the tracks was very interesting to a young boy. I got to watch the train switching operations of the brakemen. The signal lanterns at night. A tour of a caboose and an engine by a friendly brakeman. Meeting Hoboes in their camp (being scolded by my mother because she didn't want me to be kidnapped). Watching and following the track gangs as they replaced worn track. Climbing on, over, and through the boxcars that were left on the siding. Standing 5 feet from the track as one of the express trains came barreling through which resulted in a lot of horn blasts and angry shouting by the engineer. Feeling the force of the air front created by the moving train engine.
Seeing and hearing the different engines was always interesting. Just hearing the horn and the pitch of the engine would tell me if I needed to grab my bike and pedal to catch a view of an engine that I hadn't seen or heard before. The Santa Fe Super Chief was my favorite. Occaisionally a steamer would make the Los Angeles to San Diego run using this track (they usually went through Fullerton) and I remember seeing the light from the boilers being cast down on the tracks.
We had a small depot in the old part of town. It was no longer in regular use by the time I was allowed to roam the tracks.

The grain mill, the siding, and the depot are long gone now but not the memories.

Thanks guys.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

"Nah, kid, you'll put your eye out!"

Thank you for sharing that story.. that is awesome! I am glad this thread has brought memories back to people.. that was my intent.. actually this thread has become more than the original intent, which was simply about a toy train under the Christmas tree, to so much more! I love it.. lets keep it going gang..

Good idea! I'll start it off with one of mine from last year at Cajon Pass.
IMG_4412_zpsa311186f-1_zps555a62a4-1_zpseda43cbf.jpg

here are a couple favorites of mine.. The last ones with the Nickel Plate Road steamer were taken this past summer.. It was a special run put on by Norfolk Southern, it ran right through Jeannette Pa, (just a few miles from my house) It came through at the beginning of the week heading east (the first pic of it) and I videod it coming back westbound at the end of the week.. in fact in the last pic I highlighted where I was... LOL You can see my arms in the air holding my iphone taking the video... enjoy

Attachments

• 3841_1200117600.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Ex-PRR-E8-&-Suburban-Train-South-Sta-Boston_6_71.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 271
  • 183598_375312572540427_396948213_n.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 271
  • 540301_377575318980819_2106170999_n.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 235
  • me in the pic.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 256
my mom and dad and i went to straburg railroad back when i was in my teens and lived in new jersey back then , my dad still has the pic of us standing next to the drive wheels of a last gen steam locomotive, just the driver wheels were taller than we were. rode behind i think old #31 their steam locomotive. the museum part of this is fantastic. might have to get some pix of the UPSF container trains that run thru abilene texas where i reside now.

Strasburg you say? I was there last October!

Attachments

• DSCN2329.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCN2327.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 264
Well my son got yet another train. His grandpa scored this awesome Mopar '92 Olympics train set. He asked Santa for a BNSF set. I bet you know what Santa is bringing....

100_6526_zps6e1956dd.jpg

100_6529_zps0d98deef.jpg

Thats why his grandpa got it for him. Helping to out the Mopar goodness on him! lol

Since this had morphed into a thread with real pics in it, I found a couple new cool ones to add from my favorite railroad...

Attachments

• Img--00004467.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 643
  • k4-3750web.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 469773_3466883730673_1139133149_o.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 235
have you ever heard of a GG-1......not sure if this thread is all steam or some diesel and maybe some electrics.

dont get me started on first gen diesel ....my absolute favorite .

i have had this GG-1 electric as a desktop background for awhile ...in pennsy colors and all :cheers:

Attachments

• gg1_prr4935.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 273
have you ever heard of a GG-1......not sure if this thread is all steam or some diesel and maybe some electrics.

dont get me started on first gen diesel ....my absolute favorite .

i have had this GG-1 electric as a desktop background for awhile ...in pennsy colors and all :cheers:

LOL.. The thread isnt all Steam, though Steam is probably my favorite thing.. there is something fascinating about steam engines (dont get me wrong I love diesels, especially early diesel engines) but steam engines almost seem alive.. like a giant beast of the rails, with so much going on with them...

at any rate, I am very familiar with GG1's... (I love all things Pennsy) but I always thought the GG1's were a wild looking engine..

Attachments

• 08041601_blog_uncovering_org_locomotiva.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 279
Surprisingly I remember seeing the GG1's,E44's and E33's still in action when I was very little. Boy those were the days.

Surprisingly I remember seeing the GG1's,E44's and E33's still in action when I was very little. Boy those were the days.

i cant deside which one i like better the GG-1 in Pennsy hunter green or the GG-1 in Pennsy Crimson Red

when i was a little girl i remember when the SD70MACs and the new AC lines were coming out .....i think that was mid to late 90s ....those were exciting to see. And i remember the "pumpkin" BNSF shcemes when they were new.

my cousin used to bring RailFan and Trains magazines to me .....i didnt live in the US at that time (nor did i know i would) so i only saw through magazines .....but i remember feeling excitment about the new stuff and how modern and new it looked then :cheers:

i saved a few of my favorite issues from then ....i couldnt save them all...i had to leave most of them behind bcoz they wont let you bring heavy stacks of magazines on an international flight when i moved here.

Attachments

• CIMG1887.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 254
-
Back