"Training" Fiberglass

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get myself to start doing the bodywork on my Duster. It's my least favorite part of the hobby. Mostly because I hate messes; and it makes a mess of my garage! It's one of those things that once I get started, it's okay. But anyway...

One problem is the fiberglass fender has a bulge in it, which lowers the top of it. If I push in on the bulge, I can get the alignment close enough that I could work with it. But it won't stay where I move it. The 2 pictures should show what I mean.
I tried pushing it with a 2 x 4 that was wedged between the fender and the garage wall. It was pushed farther than needed. I left it there for a month or two, but it didn't budge.

Is there a way to retrain the shape?

I'm not a body man by trade, but I've done some in the past. My goal is to do enough to get it close, and let the (unknown, at this time) shop that paints it finish it.

KI8hlc.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230526012.jpg

mHMxUc.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20230526012.jpg

Last edited:
You could try heat, but I'm pretty sure fiberglass resin are thermoset polymers.

Once cured there is no going back.

Think about trying to un fry an egg, once it is cooked you can not turn it back into its yoke and white.

My guess is cutting grinding and reshaping is in your future.

Okay, sounds like a test, but I'm up for it. I kinda figured there was no easy way out. But that 'glass is light!
I'm going to start with simple stuff elsewhere on the car to get up to speed.
I was fortunate to learn the ropes when I was a mechanic in a resto shop, in the 80's. When mechanical work was slow, I'd help in the body shop.
I have a couple other things going on, (I'm installing gears and a traction lock in my F150 for one), then the Duster body.
I plan on getting anything that shows painted first by a shop, then I can do the trunk, door jambs and engine compartment one project at a time. Biggest job will be the engine compartment. But hey, I'm an old retired guy now.

Fiberglass parts don't fit the factory contours.

Close but no cigar.

☆☆☆☆☆

1) take the fender off and re-install. Sometimes a hole is out of alignment or a tweak or shim helps.
2) remove the fender and fiberglass in a steel rod or flat plate (1/8” thick or more) so when you tweak it the tweak stays put.

Fiberglass is not a factory metal fender. The molds can be off, or honestly not good at all. Worst part is the fibers in your skin. Itchy for days. Great stuff but sometimes not worth the hassle.

Agree with Syleng. Pull it off, bend it to where you want it, and bond something stiff, and conformed to the shape you want, on the inside.
And lightweight glass will never look as good as factory steel.

Align the top of he fender and work your way down, it would not surprise me if you end up spitting the fender to get the lines to fit and glass it together.

Fiberglass will move with heat in many cases, but not far and reheating it will often send it back where it started.

Best bet is more glass holding it to the proper shape. Secure it close to your final shape and and add more glass to the backside.
Other choice is to add material and then sand/sculpt it to final shape, then refinish the surface. It's not impossible to get the materials to even patch over a gel coat layer if there even is one.

Wear a mask and treat it like wood working with extra steps ;)

That fender is soo far off, I would order one from a different company.
Never seen one that bad.

-
Back