Tranny cooler locations.

-

Johnny from Chicago

Reaction score
I just got a new Northern radiator from Don at FBO and am weighing my installation options. It would be easy to install in the original location and put my Black Magic fan in front as a pusher, but there is no room to put my tranny cooler. I would have to install it behind the radiator. Don't know if this will work (3000 convertor no cooler in radiator). I'd rather not put the radiator on the outside of the core support, although it would solve my cooler location problem and fan clearance problems ( could use it as a puller then ). Any thoughts? ( Great service from Don, and tons of tech help too. Radiator is a nicely made unit for a great price. )

Electric fans are much more efficient as pullers than pushers. You should have gotten the trans cooler in the radiator, its very hard to properly cool a race type convertor with only an add-on cooler. Make sure it is a BIG one. If your fan won't fir between the water pump and the radiator I'd suggest buying a new thinner fan and using it as a puller.

When I drove my car on the street I moved as much stuff to the rear of the car as possible, this included the tranny cooler. I mounted it up at an angle behind the left rear tire with it's own 10" fan. I fabricated a shield to keep it from being pelted with rocks, debris and rubber from the tire.

I used an 8 inch T/A 4600 converter without a cooler in the radiator so I don't think you'll have a problem. I used a thermostatically controlled relay to turn the fan on if the temp went above 250 degrees but I don't ever recall it running much at all.

Thanks. I have decided to get the temp gauge and install my fan as a pusher for now with the cooler behind the radiator and watch the temp. (don't really drive it on the street) If it's not cool enough my backup plan has become the fan/cooler module in the rear of the car or a fenderwell.

Well Johnny, if you don't drive it on the street you don't really need a cooler at all. I don't run one on my car.

-
Back