tranny/engine swap info for Dodge trucks?

-

KP3FT

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am getting a 1974 Dart Swinger this weekend which has the 225 slant-six. The car is rusted pretty badly but the motor and automatic transmission are both good. What I want to do is take out the motor and tranny and scrap the car if it's too rusty to fix up. I'm pretty sure the car has the original transmission besides the engine.
I've always wanted a pickup truck with a slant-six in the worst way. What Dodge trucks will this engine bolt into without mods, and will the transmission be OK for a truck? I don't know if Dodge trucks are geared differently or not in the rear-end. For that matter, what is needed for a 1974 Dart slant-six to bolt up to a 4-speed manual transmission in a Dodge truck of a compatible year? Thanks for any info!
Jeff

The engine mounts for the /6 are unique, so any truck prior to 86 or so with the /6 mounts will allow a direct bolt in.

You'll need a /6 bell housing for any stick shift trans, as well as the flywheel and clutch.

You may find that restoring the Dart is a far easier project than the truck you have in mind.

No matter what you decide, I'm sure someone on here has tried it and has good info.

-
Back