Tranny ID

-

Dart swinger 73

Reaction score
Witch is the better transmission 727 or 904 and what is the different between them. I know what tranny I have. My Luck it will be the lesser of the two.:sad1:

A904 is the lighter-duty of the two. Slant-six and small-block territory.

727 is the larger of the two. Mostly big-block territory but came behind everything from Slant-six on up at different times.

Since you are asking on the A-body board you probably have a 904 which is NOT a bad trans at all. It can be built strong and consumes less horsepower in the bargain. If it's any testament my '73 Sport has had who knows how many engines but still has the original 904 trans.

I think nearly the only A-body to get a 727 may have been 340 and 360 cars.

A904 is the lighter-duty of the two. Slant-six and small-block territory.

727 is the larger of the two. Mostly big-block territory but came behind everything from Slant-six on up at different times.

Since you are asking on the A-body board you probably have a 904 which is NOT a bad trans at all. It can be built strong and consumes less horsepower in the bargain. If it's any testament my '73 Sport has had who knows how many engines but still has the original 904 trans.

I think nearly the only A-body to get a 727 may have been 340 and 360 cars.

I agree with everything Tyler says. I had a street/strip built 904 from CRT behind a 360 pushing 450Hp and it handled it nicely in a A-body and he gaurnteed it to handle up to 550HP if I remember right.

Which is better depends on the application. Naturally the 727 is larger and heavier built but that doesn't mean the 904 is junk. IMO the 904 is especially far better for a smaller engine because it consumes less horsepower to spin it. It can be built to handle quite a bit of abuse. I've seen many a 10 second race car running a 904. If your wanting a transmission to go in your tow vehicle I'd recommend a 727.

BTW: The trans doesn't affect hwy driving unless it's an overdrive unit. Neither the 904 or 727 are overdrive transmissions. The rear end gear ratio and tire height are the main contributors in how a car drives down the hwy

-
Back