tranny install

-

71_dart_swinger

Reaction score
well im just getting ready to put my 727 tranny back in my 71 dart and its being bulted up to a 360, anyone have any quick suggestions on how to make this tranny install a bit easier, any and all tips would be great thanks guys,,....

Have you marked the converter on the flex plate? The torque converter will only bolt to the back of the engine one way. So if you have not marked it and you are trying to install it in the car it'll be a little bit of a pain to find it, since it is a very tight fit. If you have not done it, definately do that. Using some spray paint to mark a finger on the flexplate and on the converter will do the job. Dont forget blue loctite on those bolts.

Also make sure you install the torque converter all the way back seated into the trans. You should have to pull the converter twords the flexplate a good 1/4" or so to install the bolts when the converter is all the way in. To keep the converter from popping out of place while trying to get the transmission up into the car, you can use a 7/16" combination wrench. Put a bolt through the closed end of the wrench where the inspection plate goes on the bellhousing. Then the other end will seat up against the converter keeping it from moving.

Hope that helps some.

Best thing i can tell you is to find someone with a hoist and a trans jack. Putting one in while laying on your back SUCKS!

dusterdon said:
Best thing i can tell you is to find someone with a hoist and a trans jack. Putting one in while laying on your back SUCKS!

$50 trans scissor jack from harbor freight is the best thing i've bought for that stuff. Good for 8 3/4 3rd members too. Somewhere around $50, only pain is hoisting a trans onto the jack under the car. Since usually you dont have the clearance on stands to get the trans on the jack under. Much safer though.

-
Back