tranny oil

-

stupidasso

CA ANRCHY
Reaction score
Hi all,
anyone know what type of tranny fluid in a 904? I'm thinking of royal purple, but don't recall what brand the old trannys took.

thanks,
Stu

All older torqueflites take Dexron3. If you ever forget just look at the dipstick. It should be marked on it. You can use Royal Purple if you have a $100+ to spend on trans. fluid. I hear it's good stuff but if your not racing it may be overkill. I know some will disagree with me on that statement because it claims to make your trans. last longer. It's really your choice.

Royal Purple is overkill too or any 'racing atf' unless thats its main purpose is to race. Many people use Dextron 3, I use Type F in my 904 and am fine with it. Seems to be almost like peoples preference for plugs. They'll both work, just whichever.

Factory was Dexron/Mercon, I run Type F in my rebuilt and tweaked 904, and have had no problems with it.

Thanks guys. Was really thinking about Royal Purple for the tempature claims that they make and from asking around. Just didn't know if it would work for a 904. I think I'll go with your advice here and save some $$

Believe it or not JOHN DEERE hyguard ,it takes more heat , than your typical trans fluid!!

NMC_ru_Pickerell_jpg.jpg

I have been building trannys for over 30 years. Type F has a better drag to it than the AFT mercon 2 or 3, and you can not go wrong using the type F.

djwhog said:
Type F has a better drag to it than the AFT mercon 2 or 3, and you can not go wrong using the type F.

I have also been rebuilding tranny's for about 25 yrs. and used type F for yrs because that was what all the shift kit manufacturers said to use. A couple of yrs. ago that topic came up on another board and a very well experienced trans. man came up with an article that showed the properties of them. Your right the type F did have greater holding power but it breaks down at a lower temp. I wish I knew where that article was, I'd post it.

On the comment of 7172duster. I allways wondered if that type of fluid could be used safely in a car trans. I used to work for Hyster forklifts and there trans. fluid was the same spec as the JD fluid. It was also used as hyd. fluid. They said you could use either ATF or their fluid but not to mix them. Nobody could answer why not to mix them though.

I run type F in all of my Mopar's, I have also heard that Chrysler has always recommended to use it. There was even a Mopar magazine article I read where you should always use type F!

-
Back