Tranny Problems

-

roosduster

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I took my car up to the local track this past weekend for a test and tune and when I was racing the transmission took a long time to shift. I was manually shifting my automatic and I would shift and it would be awhile before my car would shift. It did this more on the 1-2 shift then on the 2-3 shift. The 2-3 shift it would do it but it didn't take quite as long. I know it is going to need some work but what is the most likely cause of this?

Another question I have is what is the most likely gear ratio to come in a 73 Duster with a 318. I have looked at many ratio calculators and it doesn't ever come up with anything close to a ratio I have ever heard of. I do have bigger tires on the back then original but I put in that tire height and I get weird ratios.

Thanks

The fluid was a little low, right below the full line. I have a new filter for it. It would be nice if thats all it was. I think it might be more because of whiny noises it makes after a run.

well u might want to get under it and adjust the bands, try adjusting the 1-2 band befroe u take it in ya knw. gears depend on the rear end that is in car, mabye 2.76 or 3.23

Some of the smog era cars had even taller gears than 71DartSwinger mentioned so it may have something like 2.40 ish gears. That would explain why it took so long to shift. Do you have a tach? If so what was the rpm that it shifted at?

I will take a look at the bands, and it has an 8 and 1/4" rear in it. Also when I have raced it before it didn't take so long to shift, it was right away(not snappy but right away) but the other day I shifted a little after 4000 and it was at almost 5000 before it seemed to shift.

If you manualy shift the trans at wide open throttle before the governor setting it won't shift. Take the motor to 5000 and see how long it takes to shift. I'm guessing it will shift right away.

An 8 1/4 rear can come with a 2.45 gear set. If you had this gear set you probably will be going the the traps at the track in 2nd gear.

Chuck

2.45 will definately trap in 2nd. I trapped in 2nd at 95 with 2.76s lol. Agreed with the above, check your fluid level and adjust the bands. Make sure your shift and kickdown linkage is square as well. Also if you have a shift kit or manual vb, wouldnt hurt to consider a deeper pan.

I have a deeper pan on the way and I will put it on when it gets here. I will also try shifting at 5000 and see if it shifts right away.

I recall my dads 318 satalite would do 95-97 in 2nd before shifting to 3rd. it had g50 14s on it and we did put a mild 270 ish mopar cam in the day with dual exh and a small 600 holley on a edlebrock 318 intake. No major mods but a decent running 318 in a bigger body. Felt pretty snappy but at the track best time was a 14.93 at 97. He had I recall a 2.71 or something in that range with the 8.25 rear.

On the trans if it is making noise and late shifts, ug.. could be a worn front pump, pump bushing or maybe a hung governor?

-
Back